The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2010, 10:39 AM

hunter1 is on a distinguished road
Default fly lines and leaders

I just started fly fishing for stripers on the upper cheasapeake. I use a 9wt 9'6" rod. I was told it would be better to hook up a 3'section of 15 or 20lb test
to the floating or sinking line. Guy said it would be easer to cast than when using a regular 9' leader and tippet. it's suppose to turn the fly over easer.
Has anbody used this before. pros and cons please.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:53 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: fly lines and leaders

I'm thinkin' that there some confusion here
I tie my own leaders for stripers and they're usually in 3 sections and most of the time I'll use an 8' leader with a floating or intermediate line. That keeps the leader knot out side of the tip-top when landing fish. For poppers I use a straight 6' piece of 16-20# mono. The only time that I find longer leaders necessary is on the flats.

Trilene Big Game mono is a good material to use as well as Andie and Climax among others
A 60/20/20% formula is best unless you're fishing huge flies in high wind when a 70/10/20% formula will turn over the fly better.

For a 9wt rod I'll start with 4' of 40#test, then 2' of 25#, and 2' of 16#
It's really that simple

Last edited by Rip Tide; 03-25-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:06 PM

troutfishr will become famous soon enoughtroutfishr will become famous soon enough

Hey riptide and anyone else that ties leaders.

My question is, do you like to tie your own leader or is it ok to use a leader that is storebought? I ask because there are some really good leaders that are designed to be used alone without tippet as they have their own built in. I'm talking salt water. What in your opinion is the better way? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:13 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

It's WAY less expensive to tie you're own leaders. Also, you're going to
cut that tippet section down eventually, so you have to tie one on, or throw
out the remaining leader. I'd go with RipTide's suggestion.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:37 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutfishr View Post
My question is, do you like to tie your own leader or is it ok to use a leader that is storebought? I ask because there are some really good leaders that are designed to be used alone without tippet as they have their own built in. I'm talking salt water. What in your opinion is the better way? Thanks in advance.
You could use storebought of course, but it's not like you're buying an entire leader kit.
We're talking the equivalent of 3 tippet spools and only a couple of knots. And when you fish in the salt, you'll soon find that tying good knots is so important that tying a couple extra will not make any difference to you at all.
You'll be well practiced
Old 03-26-2010, 10:18 AM

hunter1 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the advise. I usualy use a pre made leader and tippet. But i like the idea of making one up. I think from what your saying, i am using to light a tippet.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter1 View Post
I just started fly fishing for stripers on the upper cheasapeake. I use a 9wt 9'6" rod. I was told it would be better to hook up a 3'section of 15 or 20lb test
to the floating or sinking line. Guy said it would be easer to cast than when using a regular 9' leader and tippet. it's suppose to turn the fly over easer.
Has anbody used this before. pros and cons please.
I think maybe the guy meant that with a sinking line you should use 3' of straight 15-20# test..... that's true

You could also use a single 8' (or so) piece of straight mono instead of a tapered leader with a floating or intermediate line too. Many guys around here use straight 20# only. It's not like trout fishing, for the most part the big flies will turn over with out using a tapered leader and stripers are not normally too leader shy.
I went that route for a while, but went back to the basic 3 part taper.
Works better for me.

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 PM ----------

I was talking to a guy last month who was telling me that in a situation where it was rocky and you normally would tie on a shock tippet, he just used a straight piece of 30# test for a leader instead. The part that threw me was that he would purposely tie an overhand knot in the leader to weaken it
It took me a while to wrap my little brain around that until I realized that the 30#test was not needed (or even wanted) for breaking strength. It was only for abrasion resistance. Putting the overhand knot in weakened the leader enough to guarantee that it would part first.
Not something that would occur to me but apparently even the 30# tippet does not deter a striper.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:46 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Troutfisher,

I used to tie all my own leaders for both salt and fresh water. Now for very shittish salt water fish, I buy tapered leaders and add a long tippet section.

The reason is that this way, I have only one small knot disturbing or catching the turtle grass or bay grass ahead of the fly. I assume you probably will be sight fishing for reds where you are, so I would try both methods and see which works the best for you.

From what little red fishing I've done, they don't seem very shy to me, but I'm sure there are conditions when this is not the case.

Cheers,
Jim