The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2010, 07:13 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bonefishing in Belize

Quote:
Originally Posted by macabi View Post
nice trip !! , that is my future destination.
I just got back a couple of weeks ago ,,but went further north "punta allen" mexico
first thing I thought when I hooked the first bonefish was "now I know why they make antireverse reels" I was very close to hitting my nuckles and happy I didnt.

Luis ,
Laredo Texas

here is a little video

YouTube- bonefish on the fly

Hi Luis,

We were fishing out of the Boca Pailla two years ago. We used an outfit called Pesca Maya; they're about 10 miles North of Punta Allen; down that dusty road in the Sian Ka'an Biosphere! They fish the same flats; about 20 miles across Ascension Bay to both the inner and outer flats.

Yup, when the reel starts whirring; that's a good time to get your hand well clear of the reel handle. You need to start with a good amount of drag already on the reel, because those fish pull with a strength that you'd expect from a fish that's 5 times their size. If you've stripped in line before the strike, then use finger tension to try to get the stripped line out with some reasonable tension on it before you hit the line that's subject to the reel drag. Ideally, you want to match the finger-applied drag on the stripped line to that of the line on the reel. That will help a lot in avoiding break-offs; particularly if you're using 8 lb. tippet or lighter, which is what we're usually fishing.

And, if you're fishing a coral flats, then hold the rod way up overhead as soon as you feel the strike (like the classic Orvis picture), because you want to maximize the angle between you and fish so that they won't break you off by zigging behind a piece of coral or two; which they love to do!

The fish are bigger in that Boca Pailla area, but they're nowhere near a plentiful as in Belize waters. Same goes for Permit and, probably, Tarpon; although I don't know about the latter for sure.

You'll enjoy Turneffe atoll; a lot of fish and a lot of fun!

---------- Post added at 08:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 08:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
Sounds like a great trip, Pocono. Did you get a chance to try out your new 11 wt xi3?

Cheers,
Jim
Jim,

No, we were about a month ahead of Tarpon season.

I wish I'd known that ahead of time, because I would have left the Xi-3 11 wt,. the Lamson Litespeed 4.0 reel with the slime line. 80 lb. shock tippet leaders Tarpon flies, etc. at home.

The guy who scored the Grand Slam on the last day, had to fish a jeuvenile Tarpon out of a salt pond (while dodging the alligators); not exactly what I picture of when I think of Tarpon fishing; but hey, he got one!
Old 04-18-2010, 11:37 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Allan,
I was hoping for a report on your trip. Sounds and looks like you and Marty
had a great time. My wife and I need to expand our horizons........
Old 04-19-2010, 09:46 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Great report and pics Allen...Looks like a great destination...

Dan
Old 04-23-2010, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Allan great report-- I've always been curious about Turneffe, looks like you and Marty had a blast.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:28 PM

neversink will become famous soon enoughneversink will become famous soon enough

Hi Allan,

Nice seeing you in action for bonefish!
If you consider soaking your fly rod in salty water in Japan, please let me know

Japanese seabass, similar to snook, all year in Tokyo Bay.
Dolphinfish and tunas, summer and autumn in Sagami Bay.
No bonefish or permit, but trevallies and groupers in Okinawa.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:41 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Frank, Dan & Mark,

Yes, it was as great trip and I can reccomend Turneffe Flats lodge as both a great place to fish out of and a friendly place to simply enjoy yourself.

Hideto-san (Neversink),

if I can find a way back to Japan in the near-term, you know that I'll be in touch with you. I'm still telling the stories about fishing with you for Yamame and Iwana in the mountains West of Nikko. It was a really great trip!