The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2011, 05:50 AM

ericdlau is on a distinguished road
Default Best DIY Bonefish destination?

Hello everybody. I am begining to plan a trip for this upcoming winter and am hoping for some input from expieirienced people such as yourselves.
I have fished in Belize on a couple of trips (Ambergis, South Water Caye and Glovers atoll) although fishing was not the primary reason for destination. This upcoming trip will be primarily a fishing trip but will need to keep my non-fishing wife happy while there( snorkeling, sightseeing, shopping etc.).
While the fishing lodges offer some great deals they are cost prohibitive for a solo angler on a two week trip. What would be awsome an area with reasonble lodging(around $100/day) with independant guides and self guided fishing avaible.
Am looking at Guanaja, Honduras right now. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:51 PM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Best DIY Bonefish destination?

I spent a few weeks on the island of Eleuthera in the Bahamas, and there is really decent fishing and the flats are very accessible. Accommodations can be found for pretty cheap, even as low as $50 a night (for a small apartment). Car rentals are pretty steep, but necessary (the standard rate is $50 a day). The car will act as your skiff. There are good (but small) flats in Governors harbor, which is where I caught my first bone. They seemed a little less spooky than some at some of the other flats I visited, and you could stay in town without a rental car and just fish there. If you do get a car, there are at least a dozen flats you can fish. You can also fish both the caribbean and atlantic sides and hit two different tides. You could theoretically get in several hours of fishing a day. Also, at the highest tide in Governors harbour, we saw some really nice size fish very close into the shore, so you could target those for some additional fishing time after the flats are pretty much barren of bones. There is also a huge number of 'cudas.

If you do end up going, and you're on a budget, eat where the locals eat and do your grocery shopping at the large grocery store near the airport. It'll save you a ton of money. Also, drink rum instead of beer (if you drink). Kalik is about $50 a case on the island, and it's the cheapest beer. There is no fly shop, so bring a lot of flies or a tying kit. I found a light pink crazy charlie drew the most strikes.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:37 PM

chris alman is on a distinguished road

I'm in the same boat as you. no pun intended. Like you, I must keep the wife happy (SPAS). I'm leaving to go to Belize June 30th and I'll be staying in Ambergris Caye. I plan on doing as much self-guided fishing as possible.

I will be going on 3 guided trips, but on the days I'm not with a guide, I'll be out wading and looking for bones. If I find any great places, I'll let you know how it goes.

-Chris
Old 05-23-2011, 07:10 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Eric,

We had a great time at Turneffe Flats last April, but it's not going to match up with your lodging/guiding targets. Unreal fishing though - when we arrived on the island there was a school of probably 100-150 tailing bonefish within casting distance of the arrival pier................!

Pocono
Old 05-25-2011, 09:28 AM

ericdlau is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the input guys. Pocono turneffe is on my list if we decide to spend the money. Hopefully I can get my brother and sister in law to come and we can get double angler price.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:40 PM

mjbolte is on a distinguished road

had a great time on guanaja last june. excellent guided or DIY opportunities