The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Saltwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/saltwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   matching a rod with a Pflueger 1558 (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/saltwater-fly-fishing/13639-matching-rod-pflueger-1558-a.html)

farwesthoops 05-06-2010 11:48 AM

matching a rod with a Pflueger 1558

Are any of you vintage reel lovers able to suggest a rod match for these wonderful old heavy reels? I just purchased a pair of them and despite 40 plus years of fly fishing, I have never seen or handled anything like these! I was shocked by their weight. I have searched the threads and Googled some but can't imagine what rods were paired with these reels. I am interested in fly fishing with them not trolling for lake trout. Thanks and good fishing to all.

peregrines 05-06-2010 04:10 PM

Re: matching a rod with a Pflueger 1558

The 1598 weighs in at 9.8 oz. You could match it up with a 9 foot 8, 9 or 10 weight rod. To put this in perspective, other reels like the Billy Pate Bonefish (for 7, 8 and 9 weights) weighs 8.5 oz, and the Tibor Riptide (for line weights 9, 10, and 11) weighs 9.5 oz.

It doesn’t have much of a backing capacity—maybe 70 yds of 20lb Dacron with a floating WF line in those weights, and it has a simple click and pawl drag (plus “rim control”).

As you know, it’s not exactly a high performance reel for salt water speedsters, but for many fish it would be perfectly fine as a backup/budget reel for stuff like freshwater bass, and light occasional use in saltwater for small schoolie striped bass or redfish etc. and for any other fish that you could reasonably expect would not be making long sustained runs and where fighting from a reel with a smooth drag and lot’s of backing would be necessary. (Even though you could theoretically increase the backing capacity to an "acceptable" 200 yds or so by switching to gel spun backing the reel doesn't have close tolerances, so you'll have problems with GS slipping between the spool and frame, and you are also likely to get cut VERY badly if you do hook into anything that takes you into your backing because of the combination of thin diameter of the GS and the reel's simple drag.)

My first SW reel in the 70’s was a Pflueger 1498 (same size and weight but without rim control) that I matched up with a no name bargain bin 9 weight graphite. It has done itself proud on many stripers over the years and still gets a few outings each year. In addition to a graphite you could match it up with something like a vintage glass rod-- maybe a Heddon?

If you take it in SW be sure to wash it thoroughly in Fresh water after each use.

Rip Tide 05-06-2010 09:59 PM

I have a 1598 that I thought I wasn't going to use any longer because I believed it was too heavy.
When I actually weighed it it came to 6.5 oz. which was the same as my Sci Angler System II 10/11.
Like Mark says, there's not a lot of backing capacity ( I have a WF11F on mine) but so far that's never been an issue for me

If you can find one, a Winston glass 10wt would be an excellent match
The SA System 10 is a nice rod too
I have an Orvis Golden Eagle....casts like a rocket launcher ;)

peregrines 05-07-2010 11:03 PM

Uh oh, my apologies farwesthoops.... I was waaaaay off base.

I miss-read your original post as 1598 instead of 1558---- The 1558 is the old Sal-Trout reel used mostly as you mentioned for trolling with lead core line for stuff like lake trout and landlocked salmon in New England, and some were used in salt water as well.

I don't think the 1558 would work very well as a fly reel--- sorry about confusing things for everyone.

farwesthoops 05-08-2010 10:56 AM

Thanks Peregrine I was thinking of reposting more info myself. The 1558 weighs in at 18 ozs and is 5.5 inches in diameter!! And was actually old as a fly reel by Pfeuger. Seems as though it is a tarpon, tuna, big striper reel. I bought them as a pure gift for myself and an intrigued by them for sure. They are extraordinarily well built and heavy. Seemingly they are to be matched with a 12 wt or above rod. I will let all know if anything comes of this fun. Thanks again.

Rip Tide 05-08-2010 11:44 AM

Not that it matters, but I was way off with the weights of my reels :rolleyes:
The SA System ll 10/11 was 12oz and the 1598 is 12-1/2oz .. loaded
Both of those are heavy enough for all day use. I can't imagine using a reel half again as big

Frank Whiton 05-08-2010 04:14 PM

Hi Everyone,

Here is a picture of the Pflueger 1598 and 1558 Sal-Trout. Just so we know what they look like. The 1598 is on the left.

Frank

http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...1&d=1169604326