The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2010, 07:59 PM

rjackh is on a distinguished road
Default new flies for texas coast

Click the image to open in full size.
walkers spoon flies. his template makes these things really easy to tie. i think i finally got the epoxy down, i used a paint brush this time and painted the whole thing with very little epoxy, just enough to cover all surfaces. it dried and contracted leaving open spots which should have been sealed up with the sallys. peach rain has craft fur in tail, the orange one has some orange deer hair.

smartts deadhead baitfish. fabric paint didn't quite clear up on the head of this one, was supposed to be more grey

kinda just made this one up as i went. got a select craft fur tail with a strip of flashabou on each side. lamp pull chain eyes and trilobal hackle body trimmed to shape. looking at it now i would probably make the craft fur tail a little thicker and tie the eyes a little farther back like right under the hook point. supposed to look like a shrimp. i think this tied in orange would be killer on reds but i dont have orange trilobal.

suggestions?

Last edited by rjackh; 06-08-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: new flies for texas coast

I really like those little fishy looking flies with the eyes. I have thought that they were cool since I first saw one and yours are as good as any I've seen. Nice tying there

To get the other to look more shrimpy you may need to incorporate some spey type hackle into the pattern. You can make it all stay on one side of the hook shank and maybe throw in a sort of wing case on the side opposite the hackle legs. This is the look we try for in a lot of the soft hackle spey style flies for salmon and steelhead.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-08-2010, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackh View Post
time and painted the whole thing with very little epoxy, just enough to cover all surfaces. it dried and contracted leaving open spots which should have been sealed up with the sallys. peach rain has craft fur in tail, the orange one has some orange deer hair.

kinda just made this one up as i went. got a select craft fur tail with a strip of flashabou on each side. lamp pull chain eyes and trilobal hackle body trimmed to shape. looking at it now i would probably make the craft fur tail a little thicker and tie the eyes a little farther back like right under the hook point. supposed to look like a shrimp. i think this tied in orange would be killer on reds but i dont have orange trilobal.

suggestions?
Top ones look really great, I'd just add a little flash into the tail. Probably something subtle like a pearl color.

For the shrimp, I'd agree that the tail should be a bit thicker. I like to add in a few strands of black krystal flash to shrimp patterns to look like antennae. To add some longer legs into the body, tie in a black saddle hackle or schlappen and wrap it at the same time as the trilobal. I'd still trim it on top.

Very sharp lookin stuff man!

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice work, I really like the looks of the walkers spoon flies!
I've never really messed with epoxy and flies, looks pretty interesting.

Larry
Old 06-08-2010, 08:02 PM

rjackh is on a distinguished road

the deadhead minnows do have a little bit of flash in them you just cant really tell with that lighting. next time i tie one of those shrimp ill try the suggestions and see how it comes out. thanks guys