The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2011, 03:40 PM

lukewl will become famous soon enoughlukewl will become famous soon enough
Default Islamorada/west palm trip

Just got back from a trip down to the Keys and west palm for a friends wedding. I wanted to get some new species on a fly to pull away from the snook, reds, trout... First day out in west palm we got about 30-40 false albacore and bonito.

Click the image to open in full size.

Didnt take photos of all, no point.

Than we started cruising around for dolphin. I saw some green flashes and it was on. There were only 3 in the school and we got two of them.

We actually had a sailfish come up and smack some of the live chum but my friend missed the shot...

Down in the keys we got into about 40 dolphin (kept 20) the first day, than went in to the wreck and had a few shots at some permit, unfortunately the permit were on live bait... but still a beautiful fish. I got 2 to the boat.

The second day we reef fished on spinning gear so I wont bother with any of those photos. Got into tons of yellowtail snapper though.

went out 4 times for tarpon... no go. I did get to see the palola (sp?) worm hatch which was impressive.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Islamorada/west palm trip

Sounds like a great trip-- those dolphin and false albacore must have been a blast-- nice job and great pics!