The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2011, 10:47 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cape Cod surf

Did a little surf fishin' last week

Click the image to open in full size.

What we wanted to catch...

and what i mostly caught...

Although there were some nice fish around too.

Found some interesting dead things....

.... a Monk fish skin

and I believe this was a young spotted dolphin..

Old 06-14-2011, 11:01 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Re: Cape Cod surf

Rip, Wow that was a great day! I'm going to have come CT so you can show me the ropes of surf fishing. Some of my greatest memories from my childhood and teen years are from when my father owned a commercial fishing boat in Bodega Bay. I fished and crabbed from the jetty from sun up till sun down when I wasn't on the boat with him. As an adult I've only fished the salt a few times though...its been way too long. The only time I ever caught stripers in the salt was a few years ago when a friend of mine backed his big Grady White into the surf... what a hoot that was!
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:23 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Nice stripers! Those have to be fun running along the beach! However, what is the smaller fish that looks like an oversize greenback minnow? I feel like I haven't seen those down in FL, though I have very little experience surf-fishing, and our usual catches in the surf are snook and whiting.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:07 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
However, what is the smaller fish that looks like an oversize greenback minnow?
That's a tinker mackerel. Although for the larger stripers they're "bait sized", I was using a dropper and catching them 2 at a time
Old 06-14-2011, 12:33 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Ahhh, I just googled the fish and I can see the characteristic mack shape, I'm just not used to that color pattern here on the Gulf side of florida. They definitely look like a viable bait fish. Two at a time has got to be interesting when they choose to swim the same way (which brings to mind thoughts of swallows working in consort to carry coconuts, a la Monty Python...)
Old 06-14-2011, 06:17 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Nice pics Rip, the new kayak has been keeping me away from the surf and my flyrods for that matter. Your pictures just gave me the itch...
Old 06-14-2011, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Paul,

It all looks good to me, even the little fish, but that closing shot is really beautiful. I'm glad to hear you got out and had some fun and happy that we have a place like this so you could share your memories with me here.

Very cool,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-15-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
Nice pics Rip, the new kayak has been keeping me away from the surf and my flyrods for that matter. Your pictures just gave me the itch...
I'm told that a kayak is perfect for fishing a tube-n-worm, but all I've ever used is my fly rods. You can troll a sinking line, but it's more fun to drift and cast over grass beds, shoals and other structure.
Mostly we use the 'yaks as transport to places you can't normally walk to. The other day we were out on a barrier island fishing a rip through a cut. Not another person in sight, just us, the seals, and the coyotes
Old 06-15-2011, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Rip-- sounds like another great trip. Congrats on the fish and dynamite pics!
Old 06-15-2011, 10:05 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Great pictures, Rip. I especially like your camoflage fishing outfit. No striper would ever suspect you were anything but an innocuous tourist.

Cheers,
Jim