The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2011, 11:08 PM

pond fishin is on a distinguished road
Default saltwater reel for occasional use

Looking for opinions on a reel for some occasional saltwater fishing (3 or 4 times a year). I'm a freshwater largemouth fisher the rest of the time. Debating between an okuma slv, a lamson konic, and the allen alpha 2. I have a hobbs creek right now that works great for bass, but I'm a little worried what salt may do it, or would that amount of use be ok for it?

Thanks
Michael
Old 06-23-2011, 02:40 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: saltwater reel for occasional use

A friend of mine fishes the California coastline regularly for surf perch and the California Delta for Striped Bass. He uses a Lamson Konic 3.5. So far, he has not had any issues like saltwater corrosion. One thing that I know is that he cleans it regularly.

I cannot comment on an SLV, Alpha 2 or your Hobbes Creek.

Dennis
Old 06-23-2011, 07:12 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

You can use most any reel in the salt as long as you clean it well afterward.
I fished primarily with a Pflueger Medalist 18 years without too many issues.
However, I learned pretty quickly that if I didn't maintain it daily there'd be problems
Old 06-23-2011, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I'd go with the Lamson Konic, as it has a fully sealed drag. There's dozens or hundreds of them in use here on the TX coast and its a reliable workhorse.

I've got a Hobbs creek reel, and I wouldn't really trust it in the salt. It has a roller bearing on the spindle that's not sealed up very well. If a reel's drag fails, you can add more pressure via palming the rim, but if a roller bearing seizes up and it won't spin, you're in trouble.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:40 AM

martin trj is on a distinguished road

Hey pond fishin', I went through the same quest and decided to give the konic 3.5 a try since I own several Okuma reels. Long story short I love the konic!! Really beefy and the sealed drag is awesome. I fish the SoCal waters and you mainly find surf perch but I have no doubt it can handle halibuts and sharks.
Check Sport Chalet, they had it on sale for $ 80 and whatever you decide to purchase don't forget to rinse with warm water after every single fishing session.
Best of luck
Old 06-23-2011, 08:04 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

lamsons drag system is hard to beat. sealed too.

ARFE
Old 06-26-2011, 02:04 AM

pond fishin is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the replies. Seems the konic is a very durable reel. What about the sage 1600? I ran across that reel tonight and its only $100. I know sage makes good stuff so I hope this reel is just as good. Is the drag sealed on it so it would work in saltwater?
Old 06-26-2011, 02:18 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I've been fishing the 1680 in the salt on my 9wt and have been quite pleased. I've heard reports of others having the reel **** out on them, but I've been fine so far.

Its a bit heavier than a Konic 3.5, but the arbor diameter is even larger than the Konic 4 (10wt model) so it picks up line quite nicely.

I don't think the drag is sealed up quite as tightly as the Konic's, but if you take good care of it, it should serve you well.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:10 AM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough

I own an Okuma SLV and unless your budget cant justify the Konic, I would choose the Konic. The SLV is not a bad reel, but it is stamped and not machined. I use mine as a backup to a Galvan T-8. If you clean the reel it will be fine. Be more cautious about dropping(or touching) any of the rim surface against a hard object. The drag of the SLV is alright, it wont stop a big salmon running downstream, and it will crimp the frame rim on the reel causing the spool to have a "catch" generally on the bottom. If you are more careful with it, you will probably have more luck. I havent been that impressed with the SLV from the get go. It was a good financial deal, but I would rather run the Galvan Torgue and have a Lamson Konic as a backup.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:24 AM

Tajue17 will become famous soon enough

I recommend the Galvan rush series, awesome reel for the money and even has the quick release spool. also when this reel is together it is tight where the spool doesn't wiggle left and right like other similar priced reels.

heres the link to it and this is who I get it from but the prices are usually the same with other dealers

Galvan Rush Series at BEARSDEN.COM