The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2011, 05:43 AM

Tajue17 will become famous soon enough
Default help with Line size.. (11-12 weight)

I am setting up a new rod I got off ebay,,, its a Loop single hand green series 11/12 single weight rod, to me the flex "feels" like a 10 weight TCX or an 11 weight Xi2. my experience with my other faster saltwater rods is I seem to like to overline them to the next weight for throwing bigger flys. I would like to set this rod up with fast sinking streamer express from SA (or something similar) but the line comes in grain weights 300-350-400gr.

do you guys think the 400 would be basically a 12# line or where should I be for say a heavy 11# to a average 12# line with a shooting head. I do know Its the rod and I will need to cast it to know for sure but I'm looking for basic advice from others who use 11's and 12's because this will be a mailorder deal for the line.

for other line recommendations if you have any I need a 4ips to 6ips full sinking line (not the multi-tip lines) this rod will be my heavier set-up for the fall migration stripers here on cape cod september thru november.

thanks for any info.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:38 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help with Line size.. (11-12 weight)

When rod companies design their rods, they figure out the line weight ratings by using deflection standards (showing how rods bend loaded) and how they cast with an AFTMA rated line, nine foot leader, and a small tuft of yarn. That is not real world conditions for fishing with monster flies.

If you use a 400 grain line with a very wind resistant striper fly, you will have trouble throwing the fly. Your loop will collapse, and your fly will not reach any distance.

For an 11/12 rated saltwater rod, you should be using 450 to 500 grains. There will be plenty of mass to load your rod in order to throw large baitfish or sand eel patterns.

If the Loop rod feels like a 10 weight TCX or an 11 weight Xi2, I would err towards 450 grains. I am sure that it could load 500 grains if you needed to go that route.

Dennis

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 07-13-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:26 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tajue17 View Post
I am setting up a new rod I got off ebay,,, its a Loop single hand green series 11/12 single weight rod, to me the flex "feels" like a 10 weight TCX or an 11 weight Xi2. my experience with my other faster saltwater rods is I seem to like to overline them to the next weight for throwing bigger flys. I would like to set this rod up with fast sinking streamer express from SA (or something similar) but the line comes in grain weights 300-350-400gr.

do you guys think the 400 would be basically a 12# line or where should I be for say a heavy 11# to a average 12# line with a shooting head. I do know Its the rod and I will need to cast it to know for sure but I'm looking for basic advice from others who use 11's and 12's because this will be a mailorder deal for the line.

for other line recommendations if you have any I need a 4ips to 6ips full sinking line (not the multi-tip lines) this rod will be my heavier set-up for the fall migration stripers here on cape cod september thru november.

thanks for any info.
I think MoscaPescador is on the money with a 450. I'm itching for the Fall migration myself. People just can't grasp the description of 30+lb Bass so thick you can walk on them. When I throw back my Montauk fish I will steer them towards CT.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:17 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

I have a lead core head weighing around 600-700 grains I throw on my fenwick 12 wt. works great. I agree with Mosca to on the 450 grain
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 07-13-2011, 05:28 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

One more question. Is this a boat or surf setup?
Old 07-14-2011, 05:30 AM

thanks for the info I was going a bit light so i'm glad I checked with you guys first,,, i'll bump the weight up to 450-500gr and go for that.. which leads me to my next question,, I was looking at Wulffs bermuda 12W line which someone reccomended because its a stiff line in normal temps which results in longer casts or in other words it doesn't have that coil memory as much in the basket,, SO where this is heavy tackle should I ignore the lines recommended weights and look more for the "Grain weights" instead,,,, do you find that where they say its 12 weight it really (based on physical weight) is only an 11 or heavy 10.

I'm fishing the surf, But where I'll be fishing you might as well say its from a boat because if you walk forward maybe 10' you'll be in heavy current 10-15' of water and being carried out a hundred yards where the current somewhat disperses (sadly shore fisherman drown in this spot every year) other spots not as dramatic but its cape cod,, also I'll use this rod in Marthas Vineyard fishing the cuts at menemsha and some other spots but think very deep jetty type fishing at the edge of the open ocean.

the reel I got is a Galvan T-14 and once i find the correct line I will get two more spools for my floating and intermediate lines,,, I'm famalier with 9-10 weights but the 11/12 is all new to me so I thank you all for the posts.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:16 AM

The reason I ask is my 11 never comes out when I'm fishing the surf. There are times when I wish I had it but casting an 11 with a 500 line all day is one hell of a workout. To me the weight difference between my 9 and a 400 line and my 11/500 combo isn't worth the pain. I usually stick with the 9 and try a little harder to cheat the wind.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:52 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I try to keep the weight down whenever possible in the surf as well. There's a lot of effort involved in trudging through the sand and blasting out casts.
90% of my surf fishing is with a 8wt rod, 10wt line.
When the wind is up near 20mph, I'll go with a 10wt rod with either a 12wt floater or a 10wt full-sink.
I know Tabory used to recommend an 11wt in the surf (intermediate line), but I think even he's gone to a 9wt.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:14 AM

its all good I just want to have that heavy rod in my arsenal,, I have every rod from 4 to 9 and some of my 9's are overlined so I cover everything to almost 11 weight,, i want a 12 and I want a 14 soon too.

I got a deal on this rod which was a hundred bucks with 3 tips, the reel which was brandnew I didn't pay anywhere near the price a store would charge but a bit less than 1/2 so its a small investment. OKAY, with that all being said i do plan on buying a boat for next season which honestly will be more inshore but I go on about 5 guided boat trips a season so if I ever need it I have it and if I ever fish for something bluewater I have it,,,, I hate using any guides equipment which is one reason I don't fish with orvis sponsered guides because of the equipment issue,, lets not go there.

my buddys here have 16 weights they use for baby tuna and still get spooled alot so I still consider myself slightly under the gun next to open water/ inshore.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tajue17 View Post
its all good I just want to have that heavy rod in my arsenal,, I have every rod from 4 to 9 and some of my 9's are overlined so I cover everything to almost 11 weight,, i want a 12 and I want a 14 soon too.

I got a deal on this rod which was a hundred bucks with 3 tips, the reel which was brandnew I didn't pay anywhere near the price a store would charge but a bit less than 1/2 so its a small investment. OKAY, with that all being said i do plan on buying a boat for next season which honestly will be more inshore but I go on about 5 guided boat trips a season so if I ever need it I have it and if I ever fish for something bluewater I have it,,,, I hate using any guides equipment which is one reason I don't fish with orvis sponsered guides because of the equipment issue,, lets not go there.

my buddys here have 16 weights they use for baby tuna and still get spooled alot so I still consider myself slightly under the gun next to open water/ inshore.
I agree completely, my 11WT actually never leaves my boat. I use it all the time and the extra backbone really helps out. It's a good weight to have but casting it all day from the surf does not agree with my rotator cuff...