The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2005, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Your best tip for saltwater fly fishing

I just want the best advice from some of the group out there.

I think my tip would be to learn how to Strip Strike effectively. This includes reacting quickly, striking powerfully, and having your hook sharp enough and knots strong enough to hang on to the fish.

The mouths of saltwater fish are generally tougher than their sweetwater kin, and I know this skill will help those with only freshwater experience. Need to practice?, both Bass and Panfish provide ample opportunity to do so.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:56 PM
Cast Like A Pro

dougm will become famous soon enoughdougm will become famous soon enough
Default My Best Tip?

Gear up for your adversary ... In far too many instances it is not the fish but Mr. Wind who awaits you. Go light and The Ancient Fish Gods will laugh and laugh as you are blown off the water...

Fly Fishing with Doug Macnair
www.douglasmacnair.com
Old 06-21-2005, 07:48 AM

Fly Guyusa will become famous soon enoughFly Guyusa will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Your best tip for saltwater fly fishing

Practice! Practice! Practice! Your casting that is! My guiding experience has taught me that many people who come to fly fish the salt have very poor casting skills. Recently, a new client from Colorado wanted to fish dock lights for Snook. He only had one day in my area, and the best tide was in the morning. His eight plus years of experience fly fishing with five to nine weight rods convinced me that he shouldn't have any problems. I picked him up at 3 am to fish until daylight for Snook, then we would go for tailing Redfish. Ten minutes from our pick up spot I approached the first lighted dock with my bow mounted electric on my flats boat. Standing in the bow, I showed him how to cast, retrieve and strip strike. When I handed him the rod, and asked him to cast, he made a windshield wiper cast of 180 degrees piling up the line twenty feet in front of him. I asked him to false cast. He couldn't! His experience apparently, was with a strike indicator and bead head nymph on very small streams. I made all his casts until daylight. The next hour was spent giving him casting lessons. At the end of the day he caught a few nice Trout and a Jack Crevalle on his own. Would a few guides site their experiences!
Old 08-28-2005, 10:59 AM

bbanking will become famous soon enoughbbanking will become famous soon enough

I agree with all of the above. Go light...pick the best saltwater rod and reel with the least amount weight you can find. Pick a quality saltwater fly line. The sun and heat make different lines react in strange ways. Cortland's 444 Lazer Tropic, 444 SL Saltwater and Scientific Anglers Mastery species specific lines and very good picks. Stay away from Orvis Wonderline and other similar lines. Then practice...practice...practice for presentation, distance and accuracy. Unlock your elbow from your hip and cast with your shoulder. I totally agree with dougm, the wind is not your friend and your trout casting style just won't do it in the salt. A good guide will usually tell you how and when to strip or you can cheat like I do. Find a pocket, lagoon or cut where the fish are moving in and out. I cast a fly to a favorable position and let it sit there until I see activity and then strip...it works almost every time for Bonefish and Cuda because I am not spooking them. With this method, my presentation and distance are not factors and I catch a lot of fish. I know this method is not for purist, but you can sure catch a lot of fish and the strike and fight are the same. Tom, www.pescamexicana.com
Old 02-24-2007, 09:23 PM

Bonefishdick is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Your best tip for saltwater fly fishing

The best tip I could give anyone is to go fishing with someone who has been doing it for awhile, they could teach you more in one season than you could learn on your own in ten years.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:37 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Strip Strike Twice & Get Your Fingers Clear Of The Spool Handle. It Hurts.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:47 AM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about

Bonefish said it all....... get a teacher.

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 03-14-2007, 01:22 PM

makubwa is on a distinguished road

Use chemically sharpened hooks!
Old 03-20-2007, 01:25 PM

Trucha is on a distinguished road

Learn the double haul.