The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2011, 10:25 PM

TexUte Fly will become famous soon enoughTexUte Fly will become famous soon enough
Default saltwater reel, okuma slv?

so i read the thread thats a couple threads down and if i can find the konic cheap then id be more than willing to get it. but i dont feel like spending 139 bucks on something id only use 2 weeks out of the year. i found another reel the okuma slv, it had very good reviews. anyone here have any experience with it? i ALWAYS clean my reels after a day in the bay, i wash them out, soak them in water, wash them again then oil. so i dont think id have a problem with corrosion. just need to find a good cheap reel
Old 07-19-2011, 11:27 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: saltwater reel, okuma slv?

my wife has a slv on her 3 weight. imo, its a good reel for the money. it has a smooth drag and nice tolerances for a cast reel as well as a decent finish.
as far as a once or twice a year saltwater reel, i think, with proper cleaning and maitenence, it should service you fine.

casey

ARFE
Old 07-26-2011, 09:14 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

What type of saltwater fishing will you be doing?
Old 07-26-2011, 03:00 PM

TexUte Fly will become famous soon enoughTexUte Fly will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
What type of saltwater fishing will you be doing?
rat/slot reds, speckled trout, and of course the hard head,croaker, and whiting that bite on occasion.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:24 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

You might be able to get away with some of the freshwater tackle you already have. As long as the wind is reasonable and you don't throw huge flies you could probably get away with a 7WT.
You will be pushing the limits of a 7WT combo in saltwater conditions but it's only for two weeks and if you do any largemounth fishing the rest of the year the 7WT will get plenty of use there.
Will you be in the surf, on a boat or in a back bay type of scenario?
Old 07-26-2011, 05:54 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Great reel, but not enough backing capacity for salt fishing IMO
Old 07-26-2011, 07:04 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Great reel, but not enough backing capacity for salt fishing IMO
IMO, for the species you've listed it will work fine. Don't need a reel with a huge backing capacity. But, if you also get into Bonito, or some other species it could be a problem. Of course that's the case with any reel, they all have their limits!
Old 07-26-2011, 07:29 PM

pond fishin is on a distinguished road

I have had an slv for about a month and so far its been a good reel. I looked at the konic and it is a very nice reel, but I couldn't say it was worth the extra $90. I used mine in the salt on a recent beach trip and it did fine. I even managed to drop it in the sand once, and to clean it I dipped it in the ocean, it did just fine. I did rinse everything off after every outing though. Mine has a 9wt wf line on it and 125yrds of 30lb braided backing. The only questionable thing on mine is sometimes the clicker engages when I'm reeling in. No drag, just the clicking sound so its not bad just a bit of an annoyance.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
You might be able to get away with some of the freshwater tackle you already have. As long as the wind is reasonable and you don't throw huge flies you could probably get away with a 7WT.
You will be pushing the limits of a 7WT combo in saltwater conditions but it's only for two weeks and if you do any largemounth fishing the rest of the year the 7WT will get plenty of use there.
Will you be in the surf, on a boat or in a back bay type of scenario?
so ill be fishing in a place called mudd lake, my dad owns property on this lake (soon to be a house there, ike destroyed it) it goes west side of trinity bay, taylor lake, then mudd lake. the big trout and reds dont come in till fall, theyll just be coming around when i get there, maybe a bit later with the drought texas is having. so my guess is ill jut be catching rat reds off his dock and if the evening is nice ill go into taylor lake and catch some slot red and trout off the boat. if i can fit 125yd on my reel im sure that will be enough. ive only been spooled 2 times in my life. one of those was a dolphin, and the other i have no clue but i could not turn the thing, maybe an AJ.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:08 PM

nmasi is on a distinguished road

i too am looking at that reel

your description sounds like my home in Seabrook, TX...is that where you are fishing?