The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Saltwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/saltwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   New world record 128lb Yellowfin on fly (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/saltwater-fly-fishing/165468-new-world-record-128lb-yellowfin-fly.html)

bloke 07-27-2011 12:23 PM

New world record 128lb Yellowfin on fly

I thought I would share this with you guys...
some fish eh!!
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b8...syellowfin.jpg

It took over three hours to land!!
Mick

branjg 07-27-2011 12:25 PM

Re: New world record 128lb Yellowfin on fly

WOW:surprise:...........

That is a nice fish!

TexUte Fly 07-27-2011 12:50 PM

where was it caught?! theres land in the background. i wish i lived somewhere i could go 10 miles offshore and catch a 100lb tuna!

Guest1 07-27-2011 12:56 PM

I used to fish these when I lived in Hawaii. Not with a fly rod though. I can't imagine how he kept from being spooled. These things fight really hard. In fact they make the top ten list of hardest fighting fish. Awsome feat.

Rip Tide 07-27-2011 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac. (Post 292532)
where was it caught?! theres land in the background. i wish i lived somewhere i could go 10 miles offshore and catch a 100lb tuna!

Here in New England, a bluefin of 100lb would be considered a "schoolie" :D

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/23/sports/23fishing.html

milt spawn 07-27-2011 06:36 PM

Was that a tippet class record? I would think larger ones have been landed on fly rods with bigger line. The all tackle WR was taken last year(?) on the Pacific coast of Mexico, a little over 400 lbs. if memory serves. milt.

bloke 07-28-2011 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip Tide (Post 292536)
Here in New England, a bluefin of 100lb would be considered a "schoolie" :D

With Taste for Risk, Dave Lamoureux Fishes for Bluefin Tuna From a Kayak - NYTimes.com

Fair enough....but on a 13wt fly rod I thought he did rather well.

Guest1 07-28-2011 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milt spawn (Post 292714)
Was that a tippet class record? I would think larger ones have been landed on fly rods with bigger line. The all tackle WR was taken last year(?) on the Pacific coast of Mexico, a little over 400 lbs. if memory serves. milt.

The all tackle Yellow Fin Tuna is a 388 pound fish. I promise you there is no way you are getting a fish like that on a fly rod. I fished for these fish quite a bit in my younger years. I have seen fish half that big peel 130lb line off a rod like it was hooked on a Russian Sub. That's the biggest one ( the 128 ) ever caught on a fly rod by 21 pounds. Truthfully I find it amazing he did it. All I can say is he had a good captain and a fast boat, plus the right stupid Tuna that decided not to head to the bottom and spool him going straight down. I was in a boat once with two other guys. One was driving the boat, the other was puking his heels up over the side. We had a double of 130 and 160. I fought the closest fish first, which was believe it or not was the 160. The 130 put up a much better fight. I was sore for days and got the worst black eye you have ever seen when the 160 did a tail walk when the guy driving the boat gaffed it, handed the gaff to and hit myself in the eye with the end of the handle. I think some of you are drastically underestimating the power of these fish. On a side note I have never seen one over about 250 and that was a rare fish. My biggest was a 190. It sure wasn't on a fly rod either.

Rip Tide 07-28-2011 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bloke (Post 292843)
Fair enough....but on a 13wt fly rod I thought he did rather well.

Sorry, didn't mean to distract from your post or from the the accomplishment of the angler. I only meant to answer the question on where to find in-shore tuna.
Many people chase them around here. The market value is astounding. A good season will buy a new boat and that's what many of the less scrupulous "guides" are shooting for.
Bluefin are often found with-in sight of land and sometimes, but not often, they'll even be seen chasing bait right in the surf. However it's not legal to take them from shore, you must have a permit (all of $10, last I looked ) and permits are only issued to motorized vessels.

fredaevans 07-28-2011 10:21 AM

The Fellow in the photo is Chris Cook and he's in the finishing stages of a DVD (Aug 1, 2011) about fishing Christmas Island (where this fish was caught?)

Here's the clip; I've already got my full copy on order.

Casting at Shadows - NEW DVD - Fly Fishing off Christmas Island, Kiribati