The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2010, 05:36 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: Tarpon Here I Come!!

Well so far we are 0 for 2. We have seen a lot of Tarpon, and fairly large Tarpon this season. Have gotten several good shots and a few really close looks but no takes as of yet. Heading out in a short bit to see if day three will burn some line off the reels.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 06-22-2010, 10:11 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Go get 'em Davo. I have a good feeling today is the day.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

good luck Davo--

I hope you have a great trip-- and being with your Dad makes it even better,
Old 06-22-2010, 05:07 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Davo: Sure hope you hook into Mr BIG! Here is to good mojo coming your way! Hope your taking a few photos for us to enjoy!

Larry
Old 06-23-2010, 09:32 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the good vibes!! Day 3 did not go as planned. In the morning the Tarpon were just not moving on the flats. The started pushing through North bound about 1:00PM. Unfortunately that is about the time the clouds stack up out west and rob you of all visibility due to glare. We had about an hour and a half to get in some shots but still no eaters.

Today we are busy putting up hurricane shutters and a few other chores closing the house. Dad will be heading for Kansas just after I leave so we needed to get those things done he can't do himself.

Tomorrow we are thinking about heading to the Everglades. Since the wind is up and the visibility will not be great. The Tarpon here on the flats have been belly rubbing and we hope to find rollers in the Glades. At the very least we should be able to locate some Snook or maybe run outside for some Reds around Flamingo. I'll be sure to take your good Mojo with us!!

Everyone have a great week!! And catch some FISH!

Old 06-23-2010, 09:10 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Davo,

I always feel really bad when someone comes as far as you have and hits a bad time - whether wise as well as bite wise. Right about the time you got here, thousands of spider crabs showed up in all the channels bayside right at dusk, and a day later glass minnows started balling up oceanside. The tarpon were gorging on crabs at night and glass minnows for snacks during the day. Then the wind picked up, and it's been howling for two days.

I haven't even bothered going out, but I'm not on a schedule so it doesn't matter for me. That's the trouble with salt water fishing - it can be incredibly hot or a horrible disappointment - more so than freshwater fishing I think, except when it pours for days and the rivers turn to mudflows. The guides take it hard too when they can't put their customers onto the fish they travelled thousands of miles to throw flies at.

I hope you come down again, and have better luck.

Regards,
Jim
Old 06-24-2010, 07:53 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Davo: Bummer on the Tarpon fishing, at least you are getting to spend some quality time with your dad! Hope you guys have some good luck down in the Everglades!

Larry
Old 06-24-2010, 04:44 PM

WJC

I come every year in June. I've seen picture perfect conditions and I've sat inside watching torrential rains. This year the wind has been fierce but we have seen a lot of fish and gotten some good shots too. Fishing comes with no guarantee!! No matter what we run into this trip is always the Highlight of my year!! A week with my Dad doing what we love most, nothing beats that and I get to spend Fathers Day with him.

Larry

Our guide was in the Glades on Wednesday and saw only one fish all day so we stayed here of Ocean Reef Club. Saw a lot of fish and had some great shots. The Tarpon here can be finicky, but we had some good follows today. Steve is tying up some flies tonight and we will hit them again in the morning. We never give up till the car ride to the airport!!

Old 06-24-2010, 11:20 PM
Administrator

Davo: That's the spirit! Good luck tomorrow, hope you hook into one of those big boys!

Larry
Old 06-25-2010, 05:19 PM

Well the fun had to end sometime. The last day of fishing is in the books. We had a great day. Lots of fish moving across the flat we have been working for the last week. Looks like all the fish are starting to migrate north. We had slightly lighter winds and really good visibility. Managed to get several to eat on an old tried and true pattern called a cockroach. We had four eat the fly but only one good yet short lived hook up. Managed to keep him on for three good jumps and a run of 100 yards into the backing, Then on the fourth jump he managed to spit the hook. But that's tarpon fishing!! It was really nice watching that Tarpon dance and listening to the reel scream!!

Now it is a nice dinner a good nights sleep followed by a long plane ride home to rejoin the daily grind. I'm already dreaming of next year!!!