The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 10:19 AM

cdaxj is on a distinguished road
Default 7 or 8?

I'm about to buy a new rod, and am deciding between a 7 and 8 wt. I do only saltwater fishing. Mostly beaches, flats, etc., for snook, trout, jacks, ladyfish and reds. I've been using a 5/6 with 7wt line, and just want something a tad heavier. Opinions?
Thanks.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:58 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: 7 or 8?

I just bought an 8wt for combination fresh/salt fishing between NY and FL, but I know that a lot of people were suggesting going as heavy as a 9 for fishing saltwater for the species you mention. However, I'm sure my 8 will work just fine, and when it doesn't it will be when I'm using a 12 for tarpon!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-08-2011, 12:13 PM

TexUte Fly will become famous soon enoughTexUte Fly will become famous soon enough

i have caught all of those but snook on my light weight spinning rod. a 7wt would be able to handle the trout ladyfish and slot reds no prob, i dont know how hard a fighter the snooks are but for an AJ man do they fight.... you would probably want the 8wt for those guys, and if you did happen t hook a bull red that 8wt would def help you out again. i just bought an 9wt for the same type of fish, and i will not be fishing the surf at all.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:09 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

even the top end of the slot for reds will get you a good fight, and snook can fight pretty hard as well. I know that where I usually fish in the salt, the extra backbone might help keep the fish off the pilings.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-09-2011, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

An 8wt is typical in TX because it handles heavy winds better, and a 9 is a bit more common in FL because y'all's reds are frequently bigger, and you often need to throw bigger stuff at snook.

I'd definitely pick the 8wt.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:29 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Both a 7 or an 8 will have enough backbone to bring the fish in but Cliff touched on an important piece of the puzzle. What are you going to be throwing with this rod? If your throwing weighted flies or big streamers on a 2/0 hooks the 8 will do it better than the 7.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:40 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

If it's windy, give me a 9. But absent that, give me the 8 over the 7.
Gary
Old 08-19-2011, 07:17 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Since you are already throwing a 7 with a 5/6 rod, I'd think an 8 wt would be fine for the West Coast. Try some out with eight and nine wt lines.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 08-19-2011, 03:04 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi cdaxj,

I think you will be much happier with the 8. It is not uncommon to up line for saltwater and a 9wt line would work better on an 8. 9wt rods are popular here in Florida. With a 5/6 already an 8wt would be a good choice.

Frank
Old 08-26-2011, 09:27 PM

TeddyBallgame09 is on a distinguished road

I was reading this thread....and as someone who recently added a 7 wt. to my arsenal...(I also have an 8 wt.) I was hoping some info might be shared on the best SW uses for a 7wt...since it seems to be the first rod wt. where the hardware (guides/reel seats) are defined as saltwater-specific. I hope this is not considered hijacking the thread...if so, please accept my apologies and I will start a new one.

Thank you and stay safe during Irene!