The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2011, 10:14 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default lots of questions

for my birthday i am looking to take a salwater charter for either redfish or mako shark. any recommendations or advice? also i have a tfo series one 7 weight rod is that heavy enough for redfish? also i have a basstaper fly line right now would i need to buy a saltwater line? what kind of flies for redfish and how long of a leader and how long of a cast would i need to make? does the redfishing or mako shark fishing slow down much in the winter?
Old 08-19-2011, 12:34 AM

TexUte Fly will become famous soon enoughTexUte Fly will become famous soon enough
Default Re: lots of questions

some places it slows down. where will you be fishing? will you be going after bull reds or slot reds? 20-28" or bigger than that?
i havnt been yet, less than a month till im back home on the coast but ive been told any bait fish patterns will be good clousers are a "go to" go to pattern and shrimp patterns are good
Old 08-19-2011, 07:03 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

You should hire a guide that takes out fly fishermen regularly. He will have the gear and flies that have been producing the best results. That's his job.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 08-19-2011, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi grassonfly,

Jim is dead on. Find a fly guide and he will provide the right gear.

Frank
Old 08-19-2011, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Great advice from the guys-- definitely look for a guide that specializes in fly fishing-- otherwise it could be a long boat ride. Someone that guides fly fishers will have all the gear including suitable rods, reels, leaders and flies, but will also have a boat that's clear of obstructions for casting and will more than likely be able to position the boat for the best presentation for you to make your casts.

Your 7 weight should be fine for reds-- but if you hire a guide ask him to bring a back up outfit-- sometimes, especially if wind kicks up, you may want a stiffer fly line.

This recent post might help a bit:
Fly line, leader and tippet for inshore
Old 08-20-2011, 10:38 AM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

I am very new to fl fishing ive been only flyfishig for about 4 months but i am a pretty proficient caster i can accuratly cast 40-50 feet on my 7 weight will that suffice for redfish? also im not very good at casting big wind resistant flies i have problems tossing large deer hair poppers will i run into any problems with that?
Old 08-21-2011, 07:03 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
will that suffice for redfish? also im not very good at casting big wind resistant flies i have problems tossing large deer hair poppers will i run into any problems with that?
That will depend on the wind, which direction it is coming from and what you are thowing for a fly. You won't know for sure until you try it. Reds will readily take clousers and other leaded flies as well. They are not particularly finicky when they are hungry.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 08-21-2011, 08:50 AM

kylebass91 has a spectacular aura aboutkylebass91 has a spectacular aura about

I think your 7 weight would be fine for the reds, I fished for them when I first moved here to mississippi and I used my same 8 weight and that was more than enough for slot reds.. also Im not a fantastic caster either so i stay away from big wind resistant flies as well, but go and pick yourself up some epoxy spoon flies in gold and red, I can tell you from experience that they work very very well on those reds
Old 08-22-2011, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

40-50' should probably be fine-- I've caught then as close as 10' from the boat on occasion-- but you should also realize that being able to cast 40-50' in ideal conditions might translate in to a lot less actual distance if the wind kicks up when you're out on the water as Jim points out.

So any improvement you can make in distance and accuracy might come in handy-- and will be there if you need it. If you can get some tips from someone that has some experience teaching fly casting so much the better. If you have a local fly shop or have a local club affiliated with a group like the Federation of Fly Fishers, you could probably get some helpful pointers on your cast. FFF affiliated clubs also have a lot of casting clinics, group trips to local waters, fly tying classes, and informative monthly meetings and it's a great way to jump start your fly fishing and meet some new fishing buddies. You can do a search here for clubs affiliated with the FFF: Locate a Club

Where are you located and where do you plan to fish? There might be some folks on the forum near you that could point you to some resources or recommend guides to check out in your planned fishing destination
Old 08-22-2011, 02:49 PM

smalliesrule has a spectacular aura aboutsmalliesrule has a spectacular aura aboutsmalliesrule has a spectacular aura about

Peregrines is right on the money. I went after reds in GA a few months ago. Hired a guide that knew his stuff, but before I went down there I took some casting lessons from a local pro who had me ready for the wind and size of flies we were tossing. It really helped me out, and it was 50 bucks plus a tip for 2 lessons. He showed me how to reach out there in the first lesson, and gave me homework to do before the next. In the second lesson he refined the cast for me and gave me some different things to practice before my trip. Well worth the money. By the way it really helped with my smallie fishing too when I floated the new recently.