Death Storm 2011

Rip Tide

Reaction score
This hurricane is going to stir things up good and jump-start the fall season.
The next couple of days will see bait tight against the shore and gamefish in a frenzy.
Depending on where the storm hits and the wind direction, it will either shut down altogether for a few days or hold the bait tight, making for some excellent fishing, at least until the next northerly blow.

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
It should be interesting-- of course here on LI -- and for you too Paul, it's due to hit on Sunday which is also a new moon-- so tides will be pretty high anyway compounding whatever the storm throws our way-- we've lost so much beach here the last few seasons that we're running out of a place to stand in some areas.

But you're right this storm should kick things off for the fall-- I was down early this morning and the surf is pretty wild already, (with a big storm from the midwest rolling in now and through tomorrow as well as the hurricane moving up the coast) and they'll be closing all the beaches soon.

After the earth quake tremors on Monday, and the hurricane due to hit Saturday night and Sunday, we should probably get ready for locusts next Tuesday.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Other than a few shingles missing from the roof, we survived pretty well.
There are no trees down and the power was only off 24 hours.
Now I just have to figure out how to re-prime the well without water to do it.

texastroutbum

Reaction score
Rip, it is good to hear that you are OK. I have relatives living near the Hudson river and told me that they had to stay put. I wish that some of the rain come down to Texas.

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Glad to see you're OK Paul-- we just got the power back and didn't get any damage except for a few little leaks that I thought were from the roof, but now think it was the from the way the new windows were put in.

There was a point I was afraid the whole roof would be ripped off and I'd have to chase fly tying feathers across the dang country.

Some pretty fierce damage to the beaches around here-- some are so badly eroded that they'll remain closed for quite a while, and inland pretty much all of the trout streams are blown out.

As far as priming the pump, is there a way you can run water down into the well through the pipes from a hose? Once there's water in the full pipe, the pump should be primed...