The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2011, 09:28 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Death Storm 2011

This hurricane is going to stir things up good and jump-start the fall season.
The next couple of days will see bait tight against the shore and gamefish in a frenzy.
Depending on where the storm hits and the wind direction, it will either shut down altogether for a few days or hold the bait tight, making for some excellent fishing, at least until the next northerly blow.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Death Storm 2011

It should be interesting-- of course here on LI -- and for you too Paul, it's due to hit on Sunday which is also a new moon-- so tides will be pretty high anyway compounding whatever the storm throws our way-- we've lost so much beach here the last few seasons that we're running out of a place to stand in some areas.

But you're right this storm should kick things off for the fall-- I was down early this morning and the surf is pretty wild already, (with a big storm from the midwest rolling in now and through tomorrow as well as the hurricane moving up the coast) and they'll be closing all the beaches soon.

After the earth quake tremors on Monday, and the hurricane due to hit Saturday night and Sunday, we should probably get ready for locusts next Tuesday.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:05 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Death Storm 2011

Other than a few shingles missing from the roof, we survived pretty well.
There are no trees down and the power was only off 24 hours.
Now I just have to figure out how to re-prime the well without water to do it.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:46 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Glad you survived intact, Rip! As far as the well, I'm going to have to suggest requisitioning a firefighting helicopter to gather water to prime the well... you know, that seems like the simplest strategy...

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-29-2011, 10:51 AM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about

Rip, it is good to hear that you are OK. I have relatives living near the Hudson river and told me that they had to stay put. I wish that some of the rain come down to Texas.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like you didn't have too serious problems Rip,that's good news
Old 09-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to see you're OK Paul-- we just got the power back and didn't get any damage except for a few little leaks that I thought were from the roof, but now think it was the from the way the new windows were put in.

There was a point I was afraid the whole roof would be ripped off and I'd have to chase fly tying feathers across the dang country.

Some pretty fierce damage to the beaches around here-- some are so badly eroded that they'll remain closed for quite a while, and inland pretty much all of the trout streams are blown out.

As far as priming the pump, is there a way you can run water down into the well through the pipes from a hose? Once there's water in the full pipe, the pump should be primed...