The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2011, 08:21 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: New to salt

Quote:
It is quicker to grab another rig that may have a different line and fly combination than it is to change spools and/or tie new flies on.
Excellent point Dennis, and I should add an excellent post in all respects.. In fact, I ordered 8 powerful rare-earth magnets that should have been here today to aid in just that. I've cut out the rod compartment in my little Mako, elongated it and made room in it for 4 rigged fly rods. But it takes too long to get them out and to do so means taking my eyes off the fish.

I am hoping to have the magnets expxied into my gunwhale caps very soon as I want to prime and sand this weekend. I will use them as quick access rod holders on the gunwhales when fishing for pelagics. You never know what is going to show up or how big it will be.

I'm going to test out tubular webbing with cast iron slugs sewn inside to attach the rods to the gunwhales. That will give me 4 rigged rods, ready to grab quickly, but without any projections above the gunwhale. I'm really anxious to try it out.

Update: It just occurred to me to check my mailbox in case they sent the magnets via snail mail and they did. Man are these things strong! I almost cut myself when I grabbed a knife to slit the packing tape on the package.They're definitely going to be plenty strong enough.

Cheers,
Jim

Last edited by wjc; 08-30-2011 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Update
Old 08-31-2011, 11:42 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Does your Mako have a T-top? I have 2 light weight 10' PVC tubes strapped to either side of mine. A notch cut out in the back for the reels to slide into and shock cord loops to hold the rods in place. My fly rods go into them fully rigged, out of harms way and easy to get to.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:13 PM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
Does your Mako have a T-top? I have 2 light weight 10' PVC tubes strapped to either side of mine. A notch cut out in the back for the reels to slide into and shock cord loops to hold the rods in place. My fly rods go into them fully rigged, out of harms way and easy to get to.
Now thats a cool idea.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

ccnp-- personally i would lean more towards an 8 weight than a 7 weight-- there's not a whole bunch of practical difference in the what each rod will do, but 7 weights tend to be much less common than 8 weights and as a result you might find it harder to find 7 weight lines in stock etc.

If you got an 8 and at some point decided to add another rod in a 10 weight, you'd pretty much be set for most stuff you're likely to run into in SW.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:44 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Jim, I'd love to see the work on the Mako when it's finished. And back to the original poster, I don't know if I missed this, but do you ever intend to target tarpon? The tarpon run off the coast of Sarasota is a pretty big deal. Also, if you're interested in doing any charters, I know that Rick Grassett is a common name when it comes to fly fishing charters in Sarasota. Furthermore, if you get the chance head down to CB Saltwater Outfitters near the south bridge to Siesta and ask them any questions you have. They're under great ownership and they have a lot of info on fishing the area, and are also a great fly outfitter.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-01-2011, 05:44 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Swirl,

That's a good idea, but I don't have a T-top. I'm trying to get rid of everything possible on it that can get in the way of throwing flies, and maximize what little storage room there is on it. It will be as plain Jane as possible. One thing I will definitely need at some point is some pop up holders for a pole. Though I really wont be doing much poling, they are pretty essential in the back country when you wind up too shallow.

Gator, I'll take some pics when I finally get it "done" - if ever. I haven't been fishing at all in months due to work and so many projects. Got invited on a trip to "the Corner" on the west side of the Grand Bahamas bank, on the 12th of Sept., leaving out of Stuart, FL, so I'm looking forward to that. I'll just be bringing an 8 and an 12 wt. My buddy says there is a pretty good chance of teasing up a marlin there. At any event, it will be nice to get out of here and away from the shop for a change.

I'm with you, Gator, on the tarpon. All it takes is that first one, and you can hardly wait to get out again. Everything else is put on hold.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 09-01-2011, 09:36 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Jim, if you have a Marlin on that 12er, I HAVE to see a photo! Or at least hear the story The only time I've seen a marlin or similar pelagic in person was while scuba diving a wreck in Key Largo, I saw it cruising away as I descended toward the top deck.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-02-2011, 11:43 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

This is my buddy's boat. Same setup as mine but he went with 3 2" tubes instead of 2 2.5". Be careful withe the 2" tubes, some rods wont fit due to oversized stripping guides.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:20 PM

A neat idea for sure, though I can see someone falling off the stern when they're trying to clear the tip from the tube, haha.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:21 PM

Gator,

It would have to be a very small one to do anything but watch it go with a 12 wt, but I'm bringing it anyhow. On second thought, I think I'd better get a 15 wt head and break out the big rod.

It's the one just above the little 12 wt. with the quarter just below the foregrip. The guy who invited me is the guy who gave it to me, so I guess I really have no choice.

Trouble is, I've never even tried casting it. My shop push broom has a faster action. To top it off, my shoulder hasn't healed all the way yet. Well, two-handed shouldn't put too much strain on it.

Click the image to open in full size.

That's a nice setup you got there, Swirl, and what a great day.

Ard, don't cringe. It may not be real fly fishing, but it could be a lot of fun if one shows up and the force is with us.

Cheers,
Jim