The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2011, 11:27 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hardcore Tenkara fishing

When I was a kid I watched this documentary so many times the VHS tape actually melted. As it gets towards the end you'll see these guys swinging 100+ lb Yellow Fin. Absolutely amazing. It wasn't until I caught my first Tuna that I realized how insane this actually was. Enjoy.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:58 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Hardcore Tenkara fishing

That's pretty serious. Those guys must have some absolutely ridiculously strong arms and shoulders (and chest and legs for that matter). I wonder what the hook on the lure looks like for them to be able to ditch the fish so quickly and get the lure back in the water.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-03-2011, 01:05 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

at the end of the clip if you watch carefully you can see the hook as one of the guys is putting the rod away. its a huge popper on a barbless hook. As soon as they let tension off the line the fish spit it right away

Last edited by swirlchaser; 09-03-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:50 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Thanks Swirl. I remember seeing that at the movies before the main show a long time ago, back when they showed the news before the main feature.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:19 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Hardcore Tenkara fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
When I was a kid I watched this documentary so many times the VHS tape actually melted. As it gets towards the end you'll see these guys swinging 100+ lb Yellow Fin. Absolutely amazing. It wasn't until I caught my first Tuna that I realized how insane this actually was. Enjoy.
The Ironman of the Tuna fishing - YouTube
Man 'O Man did that clip toss me back a few decades. Remember that well, even the 'voice' sucked you in and kept you there.

fae
Old 03-12-2012, 09:40 PM

chefben4 is on a distinguished road

Pretty wild video. Strength to swing that fish in must be incredible.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:32 AM

We used similar 18-20" cane poles as gaff handles when I was a mate on a partyboat. When the captain was looking we used to hang 10oz. sinkers on them and see who could launch it the furthest into the bay. The torque they generate when they flex is amazing. Once they swung past the half way point the cane would slingshot the fish in but you can see in the video when their timing was off they usually got hit with a fish!
Old 03-13-2012, 10:52 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Wow! That is crazy, awesome. Thanks man.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:54 AM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

and this is what happened to the tuna populations.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassonfly View Post
and this is what happened to the tuna populations.
Actually modern day net boats take more in a week than these guys took all season. If they had stayed with this method the fisheries would be better off.
theboz likes this.