The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2010, 06:32 PM

blackbear will become famous soon enough
Default fishing sandbar sharks

Next sat we will be leaving for Chincoteague Island VA for vacation...this year I want to bring my 8wt for sandbars. I have a few locations in the bay where Ill fish for them with hunks of mullet or some other greasy fish. I have never tried for them with a fly rod. I want to know if they will take a fly (clouser exc) without chumming up the water or will I need to tease them into a take with chum like the mako thing...
Old 06-22-2010, 12:52 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: fishing sandbar sharks

I think your odds of catching them on a fly rod will be pretty slim--- assuming they're the same or similar to the sand sharks that cruise the sand beaches around here, most are by surf fisherman using caught on bait--- I've never even heard of one caught on a plug or tin.

That shouldn't stop you from throwing a clouser or any other fly at one if you happen to see one in the off chance you can get to to eat, but I think you'd have a better shot at other stuff down there like summer flounder (fluke), specs, drum, bluefish and stripers.

Good luck!

mark
Old 06-22-2010, 03:15 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Mark,

I have caught three flounder on bunny fur comets up here while fishing for salmon in the surf. Pretty cool.

Black bear, go for the flat fish and sea trout, I used to live in Portsmouth VA. and spent lots of time on the Eastern Shore. I found that the fishing around Wachapreague was always good, cool little town too and not crowded like the island. Also look at Cradockville on the west side on the Bay. Get a tide book or look them up on line and write down a list for your trip.

Don't forget to stop in at 'Turner Sculpture' right on Rt 13 near Onley VA. Dr Turner is a friend and the gallery is the best I've ever seen. I gotta put a link down for you, the place is well worth your stopping.

Turner Sculpture, Art Gallery and Bronze Foundry - Virginia Is For Lovers

Please let me know if you stop in,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-22-2010, 06:13 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

Though they will hit live bait, you will have to chum them into the area and use a fly close to the bait. If using mackeral for chum a red or orange chum fly should work.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 06-22-2010, 08:35 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

I don't know what kind of sharks they are, but, except for bonnet sharks, most are hard to entice to a fly, especially one without scent on it.

I used to fish for blacktips ocassionally, and would use red and yellow flies. We would catch a baracuda, slice it with a knife and hang it out on a rope for the current to disperse the scent. Then we would rub the fly in cuda slime and blood before casting to the sharks.

The fly must tickle their nose for quite a ways, and the take was more like brook trout lazily sipping drys on a pond covered with them than an agressive bite.

If yours are nurse or sand sharks, you could be just wasting your time.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 06-22-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Mark,

I have caught three flounder on bunny fur comets up here while fishing for salmon in the surf. Pretty cool.

Black bear, go for the flat fish and sea trout, I used to live in Portsmouth VA. and spent lots of time on the Eastern Shore. I found that the fishing around Wachapreague was always good, cool little town too and not crowded like the island. Also look at Cradockville on the west side on the Bay. Get a tide book or look them up on line and write down a list for your trip.

Don't forget to stop in at 'Turner Sculpture' right on Rt 13 near Onley VA. Dr Turner is a friend and the gallery is the best I've ever seen. I gotta put a link down for you, the place is well worth your stopping.

Turner Sculpture, Art Gallery and Bronze Foundry - Virginia Is For Lovers

Please let me know if you stop in,

Ard
\

I was going to fish the surf off the island and inlets for trout/kings/flounder...I take a night or 2 to get after the sandbars with my casting rod. I figured I would have problems with them taking a fly.
Ill have to look up those locations this week to get my bearings. Ill let my wife know we have to stop by Dr Turners gallery...I always enjoy a fellow artists work.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:06 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Bear,

Don't forget those tides, they will matter. You will love the sculpture gallery, what is your medium of art?

Ard

Old 06-22-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Bear,

Don't forget those tides, they will matter. You will love the sculpture gallery, what is your medium of art?

Ard
pen and ink pointillism with an emphasis on fishy things
Old 06-22-2010, 08:52 PM
Administrator

If William Turner Sr. is there at the gallery be sure to meet him, of course if David or Will Jr. are there get to know them also. These are among the nicest people I have ever met. He (William Sr.) is a pen and paper artist also. I have some of his bronze (The King Fisher & the Heron Pair) and one of his line drawings of a king fisher. He also is an author of several books about the Tide Water Region of The Eastern Shore. You and your wife will enjoy the visit.

Ard