The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 04:49 AM

lthrnk03 is a jewel in the roughlthrnk03 is a jewel in the roughlthrnk03 is a jewel in the rough
Default 8 wt Rod

what species of saltwater fish can an 8 wt rod handle?

snook, red drum, jacks???
Old 10-17-2011, 09:02 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all
Default Re: 8 wt Rod

Stripers, bluefish, reds, groupers, carp, snook, largmouth bass, and I'm sure a lot more.

Randy
Old 10-17-2011, 11:02 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Baby tarpon, baby baracuda, bonefish...
Old 10-17-2011, 11:22 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

BTW, this might be of interest:
8-Weight Shoot Out:
Flyanglers Online - Our Man in Canada
Randy
Old 10-17-2011, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

An 8 weight is a great all around saltwater rod for many inshore light tackle gamefish-- redfish, spanish macs, lady fish, bonefish, snook, baby tarpon, striped bass, bluefish, weakfish/sea trout, etc and for freshwater fish too like steelhead and throwing large bass bugs and stuff at largemouth bass. It's a very versatile weight.

Another way of looking at it is an 8 weight should be good for throwing flies size 1/0 and smaller in light to moderate wind for fish that generally run up to 20lbs (not that you can't occasionally throw larger flies, or handle heavier fish if you happen to hook hook them, but just as a rough seat of the pants opinion.)

A 9 weight might be a good choice too for the same saltwater fish and throw large flies and deal with wind a bit better than an 8, but a bit overkill for freshwater largemouth and many steelhead streams.

Although some might fish 7 weights or lighter for these fish, you might feel undergunned on all but the calmest days and be more limited in the range of fly sizes you can comfortably throw. Options for saltwater gear like fly lines etc are also more limited for 7 weights and smaller and may not be carried in stock by many shops even if offered by a manufacturer.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:39 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Albies, skipjack and blackfins to 15 lbs, dolphin to 20 lbs, trippletail, hogfish......

If I were forced to pick a single rod for the rest of my life, it would be a 8wt. And if I wanted to fish for trout, I'd just have to go visit Ard (or else go to New Zealand.)
Old 10-17-2011, 10:27 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
If I were forced to pick a single rod for the rest of my life, it would be a 8wt. And if I wanted to fish for trout, I'd just have to go visit Ard (or else go to New Zealand.)
Excellent!!!