The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2011, 08:32 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all
Default Backing...

Anyone have any experience with PowerPro Hollow Ace as fly line backing?

I am not really looking for something of super thin diameter, simply looking for something more durable than dacron. I would like something of at least the same diameter of 20 pound dacron, maybe a little thicker...

Any insight?
Old 10-24-2011, 08:40 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Backing...

Dacron is pretty durable.
On some of my reels the 30# backing is 15 years old
Old 10-24-2011, 09:09 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

abrasion resistance was more what I was worried about than longevity...
Old 10-24-2011, 09:10 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

sorry... I don't see the problem
Old 10-24-2011, 11:20 AM

Scrape 30 pound dacron on the edge of an oyster shell, then scrape something like PowerPro...

Basically, I agree, Dacron typically works fine, however, Power Pro isn't much more expensive and is more durable, so I see no reason to stick with dacron. Sorry you can't see it the way I do, however, I guess that wasn't really what I was asking...

I fish 200-300 days a year, don't mind spending a little more to get exactly what I want, simply wondering if anyone had any experience with the Powerpro Hollow Ace...
Old 10-24-2011, 01:57 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb View Post
Scrape 30 pound dacron on the edge of an oyster shell, then scrape something like PowerPro...

Basically, I agree, Dacron typically works fine, however, Power Pro isn't much more expensive and is more durable, so I see no reason to stick with dacron. Sorry you can't see it the way I do, however, I guess that wasn't really what I was asking...

I fish 200-300 days a year, don't mind spending a little more to get exactly what I want, simply wondering if anyone had any experience with the Powerpro Hollow Ace...
Why would your backing come into contact with an oyster shell? I use a braded running line when I use sink heads and I have to wear gloves to handle it. Braided backing will be more durable but it will also cut you up very quickly. Typically even if a fish has you into your backing they are usually running not diving. It would be rare for your backing to come into contact with anything on the bottom. I've had Dacron backing out plenty of times but it never came in contact with the bottom.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
Why would your backing come into contact with an oyster shell? I use a braded running line when I use sink heads and I have to wear gloves to handle it. Braided backing will be more durable but it will also cut you up very quickly. Typically even if a fish has you into your backing they are usually running not diving. It would be rare for your backing to come into contact with anything on the bottom. I've had Dacron backing out plenty of times but it never came in contact with the bottom.
1) Oyster shell was just an example, there are a multitude of things backing can come in contact with. However, if you have ever fished certain places, Oyster shells are something one would at times have to worry about in low tide situations. Rare and unlikely, yes, but possible just the same...

2) I am talking about using 100 pound or more in this stuff, putting the diameter between 20 and 30 pound dacron, so cutting my hands is not going to be an issue anymore than dacron would.

3) I have hooked King Salmon off piers here in West Michigan which ran deep and rubbed my backing on the rocks which were covered in mussels and severely frayed dacron backing "it did not fail, but needed to be replaced". The chances are low, but there is a chance of your backing coming into contact with such things...

I still may end up just going with dacron, but seen this hollow stuff and thought it may work real nice as backing, simply wondered if anyone had any experience with it...

My thoughts are it may sort of offer the best of both Worlds between the normal gel spun backing and dacron backing. It theoretically may have similar knot strength as dacron but offer better abrasion resistance than dacron. Thus why I asked if anyone had any experience with it...

Last edited by kwb; 10-24-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:24 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
1) Oyster shell was just an example, there are a multitude of things backing can come in contact with. However, if you have ever fished certain places, Oyster shells are something one would at times have to worry about in low tide situations. Rare and unlikely, yes, but possible just the same...

2) I am talking about using 100 pound or more in this stuff, putting the diameter between 20 and 30 pound dacron, so cutting my hands is not going to be an issue anymore than dacron would.

3) I have hooked King Salmon off piers here in West Michigan which ran deep and rubbed my backing on the rocks which were covered in mussels and severely frayed dacron backing "it did not fail, but needed to be replaced". The chances are low, but there is a chance of your backing coming into contact with such things...

I still may end up just going with dacron, but seen this hollow stuff and thought it may work real nice as backing, simply wondered if anyone had any experience with it...

My thoughts are it may sort of offer the best of both Worlds between the normal gel spun backing and dacron backing. It theoretically may have similar knot strength as dacron but offer better abrasion resistance than dacron. Thus why I asked if anyone had any experience with it...
I don't think the pain would be worth it. It will destroy your hands.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
I don't think the pain would be worth it. It will destroy your hands.
What pain? Why would someone put their hand on backing flying out of the reel?
Old 10-24-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
What pain? Why would someone put their hand on backing flying out of the reel?
even if it ran against your forearm you would lose skin, not to mention braid running throw snake guides. If 50lb Power Pro came in contact with the tip of your flyrod while a King was running it would cut right into the graphite. None of the components on a flyrod can handle the abuse that 50-80 lb Power Pro will put them through. There is also the matter of your spool. Braided lines have no stretch, with a fish on it will compress your spool and distort it. But if you must fish for Kings off a pier, with a flyrod, be careful and have a backup rod.