The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2011, 07:20 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default 9 weight

i am having trouble adjusting my casting stroke for my new bvk 9 weight i fished with a fiber glass/boron 6 weight before and the fast action is very different any help?
Old 10-24-2011, 08:00 PM

chicagojohn will become famous soon enoughchicagojohn will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 9 weight

Glass to a fast action rod like the BVK is quite the change. The BVK lies at the faster end of the "fast action" spectrum due to the stiffness of the rod and the stiffer tip. I recommend practicing speeding up your tempo and focusing on abrupt stops on the back and forward casts. Finally adding a line that is a half size up like a Scientific Anglers GPX or Rio Grande will help you load the rod. Casting this rod with a standard line weight after using a glass rod will be a huge adjustment.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:23 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

im using a cortland bonefish like and thanks ill try that out tommorow
Old 10-25-2011, 07:01 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to try a 10wt line on your 9wt rod
I overline all my saltwater rods. One of my 8wts casts best (for me) with an 11wt line. You won't know what will work best for you until you try.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:21 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I fish TFO's alot, a line up should help. I haven't cast the BVK yet but I have Axioms, TiCr's and TiCrX's. They all throw a one weight up very well.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:33 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
I fish TFO's alot, a line up should help. I haven't cast the BVK yet but I have Axioms, TiCr's and TiCrX's. They all throw a one weight up very well.
I agree, my TiCrX and Axiom rods all really need uplined to load well, especially if you are throwing less than 50 feet of line. I have a 10wt BVK, and out of habit uplined it with an 11 weight line (an Orvis WF11-I Wonderline) and was very disappointed with the results. I had a lot of difficulty finding the "sweetspot". I dropped to a WF10-I (I think it is a Rio Mastery line) and it casts MUCH better. IMO the BVK doesn't have the backbone of some of the other TFO rods, but it sure feels nice in my hand!

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:51 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfzx View Post
I agree, my TiCrX and Axiom rods all really need uplined to load well, especially if you are throwing less than 50 feet of line. I have a 10wt BVK, and out of habit uplined it with an 11 weight line (an Orvis WF11-I Wonderline) and was very disappointed with the results. I had a lot of difficulty finding the "sweetspot". I dropped to a WF10-I (I think it is a Rio Mastery line) and it casts MUCH better. IMO the BVK doesn't have the backbone of some of the other TFO rods, but it sure feels nice in my hand!
I like the Axioms in the lighter weights 7 and down. I like my X but the coating they put on the butt section to give it more backbone really changes how the rod casts. I'll take my TiCr 10wt to the grave with me!
Old 10-25-2011, 11:38 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

My wife got the BVK #8 last spring for a bonefish trip. We tried a few lines on it before heading out and, though it cast a #8 SA Matery Bonefish well it liked an 8.5 line like RIO Tarpon 8 (a half size heavy line) or SA Mastery Textured Saltwater (if you want to try a new tech slightly noisey line, this is a good one). I can't comment on lifting power, but for casting performance BVK sets a new bar for TFO. If you want to try a fast, potent rod in this catagory that is twice the price but stratosphericly more sophisticated, put one of those same two lines above on a G.Loomis NRX #8!
Old 10-25-2011, 06:49 PM

today i was able to use the power of the rod. i was on my boat and wow i was casting tight loops 50 feet into heavy wind so much fun