The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2007, 08:18 PM

alhunt1 is on a distinguished road
Default Bahamas Bonefish

Hi,
I'm new to this forum, and I'm a relatively novice fly fisherman. I fish a lot for panfish in local lakes and have caught bluefish and trout on fly in the salt. We're heading to Atlantis for a week this Friday . I've got a charter with a guide for next Monday, but I'd like to do some wade fishing on my own for some bonefish. What'r'the'chances of me hookin' one? I have a sage fli 8wt with some floating weight forward line. If anyone has ever been to paradise island/atlantis (or anywhere else round those parts ;-) and you have any tips on where to go to wade, what flys to use, basic strategies, etc I would most appreciate any information that you have!!! If I get lucky, I'll post a report when I return.
Thanks,
Alhunt1
Old 05-09-2007, 08:35 AM

Flyinsalt is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bahamas Bonefish

Not a whole lot of flats fishing for Bonefish around Paradise Island or Nassau. I heard recently, though, that there is one guy who will take you to the other side of New Providence Island and show you some flats. Simon Bain used to guide out of Nassau, but I don't have any contact info for him. It is a short plane ride or boat ride on the Fast Ferry over to Andros, where the fishing is much better. I would definately take my rod, though, and try around the resort. You may not catch a Bonefish, but anything on the fly would be great fun. Let us know how you did when you get back. Good Luck!
Old 05-10-2007, 06:03 AM

alhunt1 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply! I have Simon booked for a guided boat trip on the 14th. I called him the other night to talk about the trip. Sounded like he might me amenable to showing me some places I can access on my own. I may have to rent a car or take a cab to get there... We'll see. I'll try to post a report when I return.
Regards,
Alhunt
Old 05-10-2007, 08:14 AM

Flyinsalt is on a distinguished road

Getting around the island is pretty easy. I stayed on the other side of New Providence a few years ago and rode the city bus when I wanted to go into town. It cost like .50 to ride the bus. Don't know if you could access any flats that way, but I'm sure you can work out something on your own. Good Luck!
Old 05-12-2007, 10:41 AM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough

Be patient... watch the cab drivers theircharges in the islands make nyc, la, chicago cab drivers look cheap...try anything you can wade without getting stuck...new providence is for gambling, skin cancer, booze, and ..... for fishing andros... for both grand bahama
Old 01-22-2008, 12:00 PM

BigDog is on a distinguished road

I just back from my third trip to Exuma in the Bahamas. We fished a couple of days guided and 3 days fishing on our own. We wade a large flat south of George Town called Airport flats it's easily accessable and is a huge flat. Once you learn how to spot the fish you days can be quite productive. I find the services of a guide invaluable in teaching how to spot bones. I team up with my fishing partner taking turns spotting the bones for each other. We have been consistantly productive working together. If you are looking for a guide in the area I would recommend Stevie Ferguson I have fished with Stevie 5 - 6 times and really a great day every time. Here is a link to Stevie's web site Exuma Bonefish Guide

I'm happy to help if I can answer any questions about Exuma bonefishing or send the location of the flats using google earth my email is mackev ( at ) s h a w . c a

Kevan