The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2007, 09:27 PM

tbrillinger223 is on a distinguished road
Default Favorite Saltwater Species?

For those of us that chase Grey ghosts, Silver Kings, Linesiders or Pomps,Permits and Reds what is your favorite quary?

For me its anything on the flats, each species presents its own challange and keeps you on your toes. I would have to say, my most persued fish would be redfish, followed closely by tarpon.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:12 AM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Favorite Saltwater Species?

Red Fish and specks with the ocassional Flounder. You know my story that I haven't flyfished for them yet but they are still my favorite from spin fishing them. Hopefully after my trip in June, I'll have caught all 3 on the fly.

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 05-14-2007, 10:36 AM

Where are we fishing in june??
Old 05-14-2007, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrillinger223 View Post
For those of us that chase Grey ghosts, Silver Kings, Linesiders or Pomps,Permits and Reds what is your favorite quary?

For me its anything on the flats, each species presents its own challange and keeps you on your toes. I would have to say, my most persued fish would be redfish, followed closely by tarpon.
Hi tbrillinger223,

Well that is a tough question. Has a lot to do with what is available. Jacks are high on my list because they are everywhere and put up a good fight. Snook are close to my favorite. I think my favorite would be Baby Tarpon (10 to 20 pounds) on a 8 weight rod. The action can be wild. I have never caught a 100+ Tarpon but it seems like just plain work to me. This comes from someone who would rather catch 5 pound rainbow rather than 40 pound King Salmon.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi tbrillinger223,

Well that is a tough question. Has a lot to do with what is available. Jacks are high on my list because they are everywhere and put up a good fight. Snook are close to my favorite. I think my favorite would be Baby Tarpon (10 to 20 pounds) on a 8 weight rod. The action can be wild. I have never caught a 100+ Tarpon but it seems like just plain work to me. This comes from someone who would rather catch 5 pound rainbow rather than 40 pound King Salmon.
Frank,

I agree with the jacks, I throw my 7# when the yellowtails are schooling. Its a blast. If you get a chance try the Indian River between Vero beach and Sebastion. The jacks get pretty thick in the early summer. they average in the 3-5 pound class some of them getting up to 10 lbs. I believe you can pick up tarpon (20-50 lbs. class) on the east side of the channel around the 17th street bridge. As for a 100+ pounder, great fun on spinning gear,(and a tremendous amount of work) have not taged one on fly, YET!!!!
Old 05-15-2007, 04:38 PM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough

Tarpon on the flat...because they fly and because there big and because they are a big pull and lastly because they humble me
Old 05-15-2007, 05:41 PM

Trucha is on a distinguished road

Well, I have fly fished in the salt on S. California beaches and bays for Corvina, Surf Perch, Bay Bass, halibut and tried to get some White Sea Bass to bite. I have caught reds in Laguna Madre; Bar Jacks, snappers and a Bonefish in the Carribean. Next year I will try one more time to hook up with bones, and hopefully, some baby tarpon. I can see why you saltwater fly rodders dig this.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:48 PM

Yoffione is on a distinguished road

Favorite is definately big tarpon. No question. Alot of work, but the first few minutes are total chaos. Bones are next. Hunting and fishing at the same time. After my first trip I told my wife "we may go broke chasing bonefish". I love the reds, snook, trout and pompano also. I like it all. I have not hooked a permit but have thrown to quite a few. I am headed to sw Florida the middle of June to chase all of the above (except bones) and cannot wait.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Gonna have to be Redfish, for the same hunting/fishing reasons others have mentioned. The occasional Ladyfish or anything else that goes airborne is a welcome treat too.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:56 PM

I am definately with you on the redfish cliff, you being out there in texas, head over to port aransas/corpus christie and grab some huge reds.