The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2011, 03:08 PM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough
Default Over lining???

It seems that many of us are over lining our rods. My self included. If we are fishing a rod supposedly designed for a 9 line but we are using a 10 line on it; are we fishing a 9wt or a 10wt?
Old 11-03-2011, 04:40 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Over lining???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditz View Post
It seems that many of us are over lining our rods. My self included. If we are fishing a rod supposedly designed for a 9 line but we are using a 10 line on it; are we fishing a 9wt or a 10wt?
As long as I'm catching fish I don't care
Old 11-03-2011, 04:51 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I personally never over line, but underline once in a while. However, this is based on the stated rating of the rod and the line as well.The problem with that is that rods are almost never rated as what they really are, and the AFTMA system of rating lines tells you next to nothing if you can carry more than 30' of line in the air. The best thing to do if you really want to know what you are dealing with is to use the common cents system and see what your rod really is. Find out how long the head is on your line and weigh that. Also weigh the first 30' in case they lied about the rating on your line as well.

How far do you generally need to cast? What lines are you using and on what rods?

Dan
Old 11-03-2011, 04:59 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

This topic come up ALL the time. I overline my surf rods but not to get more distance. Under good conditions I cast further with the correct lines. Overlining gets me the same distance under adverse conditions like heavy wind or nasty surf when I barely have time to get off one false cast before a wave smacks me silly. I can feel the rod stressing and my casts aren't perfect form but water load, one backcast and haul like a mofo and I'm back in the water.

I DON'T WANT TO BE LOOKING BEHIND ME WHEN I STANDING IN THERE...
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Old 11-03-2011, 05:17 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

ditz... I feel your pain. Like most northeastern SW flyfishermen, I overline as well.
The best thing to do if you really want to know what you're dealing with is to try different lines and see what suits the conditions and size flies you use.
I have an 8wt that takes an 11wt line, but I also have another 8wt that works well with a 7wt.
If you live within driving distance of southern RI, there's a "rod tune-up" biannually in Narragansett to determine what line works best for you.
In the salt I normally use lines from 9-12wt depending on what I want the line to do. The rod that I'll cast those lines with is a lesser consideration.
I'll call rods what they're labled, but what I know is something different
Old 11-04-2011, 11:15 AM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

I guess I was not very clear. I recently purchased a 9' 7wt rod to fill the gap between my 5 and 9wt rods. I ended up putting a 8wt SW taper SA line on the rod and it casts fine. I tried my SW 9wt on the rod and it worked OK as well. I do intend to continue to use the 8wt. I would also like to try a 7wt SW taper but at this point I believe that "I" would not care for how the rod would load with a 7wt and the line would go unused.

The question is " Do I catch a fish on a 7wt or an 8wt rod"? It really makes little difference to me personally but ethicly in conversation with others I have no wish to lie.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:00 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

By the manufacturer rating it would still be a 7 wt, and the line would still be an 8 wt. By other standards, or by actual testing, who know's what you might call it! If you were reselling either, I'm sure you would state each as rated by their respective manufacturers, although you may also ethically include personal observation of how each performed for you. Perhaps you wouldn't.

Seems to me if it's a matter of conscience or consistency, then, when in conversations, simply state it's a 7 wt rod with an 8 wt line. Both would certainly be true!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 11-04-2011, 12:05 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
The question is " Do I catch a fish on a 7wt or an 8wt rod"? It really makes little difference to me personally but ethicly in conversation with others I have no wish to lie.
Uh, so you think maybe overlining your 7 wt turns it into an 8 wt? That's a new one.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
By the manufacturer rating it would still be a 7 wt, and the line would still be an 8 wt. By other standards, or by actual testing, who know's what you might call it! If you were reselling either, I'm sure you would state each as rated by their respective manufacturers, although you may also ethically include personal observation of how each performed for you. Perhaps you wouldn't.

Seems to me if it's a matter of conscience or consistency, then, when in conversations, simply state it's a 7 wt rod with an 8 wt line. Both would certainly be true!
Oh, ok. Now I get the question. The fight is in the rod, not the line. You caught the fish on whatever WT the rod is rated for.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:41 PM

aggie182 is on a distinguished road

I don't over line my 4, 6, or 8, but I overline my 2. I decided to overline my 2 because most of my shots with that rod are pretty short and I figured it'd make life easier. I have never casted a DT2 or WF2 line on it so I don't know if it's necessary.