The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 08:37 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default canoe

i was looking to kinda build my own flats vessel. I was thinking about buying a square back canoe and sticking an outboard on the back and putting other fishing stand and such on it any comments?
Old 11-07-2011, 08:46 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: canoe

Check out a vehicle known as a Flatstalker, looks pretty interesting!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 11-07-2011, 09:05 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

that thing is weird but im looking to stick a motor on it so i could fish the flats of biscayne bay
Old 11-07-2011, 09:08 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Yeah the flatstalker has a stainless motor mount attached, pop on a trolling motor and you're good to go! For flats fishing, you're either going to want to pole in or troll, spolling up a standard motor is going to send the fish running a lot of the time. I'm still a kayak fan

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 11-07-2011, 09:12 PM

aj the problem is that i need to be able to travel pretty far pretty fast. i live 3 hours from the closest kayakable flat
Old 11-07-2011, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I'm a canoe fan. They're efficient, and give you the option of ferrying two guys around. You can drop one guy, motor up a bit and get out and wade. The first guy wades towards the boat, and then cranks the motor and leapfrogs the second guy. Rinse and repeat and two guys can conveniently cover A LOT of water.

Or you can pole it standing, spot fish much better, and sneak up on them via being quiet. Then there's always the option of setting up a drift and fishing that way. (can drag a chain to slow the boat if the wind's really honkin' too)

Perfect rig-

Outdoorsman ModelIndian River Canoe

+

Honda BF2 Outboard Engine - 2 hp boat motor specs and features

I'd have one but I bought a plastic boat so I'm not rubbing gel-cote on the local limestone river bottoms.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:59 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

I fished Biscayne Bay one day for Permit with a Coral Gables guy, a transplant from Alaska who goes by Bonefish Whisperer.

He uses a squareback canoe and poles. Great rig. I could cast while standing as he poled. It was considerably longer and narrower than the one Big Cliff pictured. He has a bunch of different ones, some which will convert to having outriggers by pulling a lever I believe.

Kayak Rentals, Flyfishing Biscayne Bay Florida, South Florida Fishing Guide | Bonefish Whisperer | South Florida Flats Fishing Guide | Flyfishing Biscayne Bay
Old 11-08-2011, 09:01 AM

Rentals are a possible suggestion, based on how often you'll be making the drive, if you'll need a trailer, etc. If you're not fishing the vessel a lot, it might be worth checking out rental prices, and the place Jim suggested may be a great place to start. Poling is likely what you'll be doing most the time if you don't want to spook fish. This isn't using a motor, but instead using a push pole to get yourself into position. It's ultra stealthy and a common method on the flats.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:02 AM

id love to pole around but im fishing on a budget so i cant necessarily buy a motor strait out
Old 11-08-2011, 09:12 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Not so much lately, but I used to canoe in the salt a lot.
Rarely fishing out of it, but as transport to locations that couldn't be accessed on foot.
Once I started kayaking, the canoe became strictly a fresh water vessel. Kayaks are faster and more stable in high seas.
A decent used kayak will probably cost a little more than a used canoe, but they're more fun and safer