The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2007, 08:18 PM

tbrillinger223 is on a distinguished road
Default Flats Fishing

The silver kings are starting their summer migration. There should be some great fishing over the next month or so. I am looking forward to a keys run, E.N.P., or Chocoloskee.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:18 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Flats Fishing

Hi tbrillinger223,

Sounds like fun. Where is Chocoloskee.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:51 PM

West Coast, South of Naples. Take I-75 west (Alligator Alley) to 29 ( I think it is the 2nd exit after you pass the toll plaza coming from the east) head due south to the end. thats chocoloskee. Nice little fishing town, very "Old Florida". If you are familiar with Flamingo in E.N.P. Then youd love to fish Chocoloskee and the 10k islands. Pheonominal fishing, whether its on conventional gear or fly. There are several guides out of the west coast that fish there, if you are interested. Some of the guides down here get $300-$500 a trip, (half day could be around $175-$300) and no guarantee that you will even get on the fish.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:03 PM

Frank,

we are heading out to flamingo on sunday (got a break in the weather, I hope) looking for some tarpon and snook, got a great posibility of some permit. hope to have some pics on the outing.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrillinger223 View Post
West Coast, South of Naples. Take I-75 west (Alligator Alley) to 29 ( I think it is the 2nd exit after you pass the toll plaza coming from the east) head due south to the end. thats chocoloskee. Nice little fishing town, very "Old Florida". If you are familiar with Flamingo in E.N.P. Then youd love to fish Chocoloskee and the 10k islands. Pheonominal fishing, whether its on conventional gear or fly. There are several guides out of the west coast that fish there, if you are interested. Some of the guides down here get $300-$500 a trip, (half day could be around $175-$300) and no guarantee that you will even get on the fish.
tbrillinger223,

I had a small lapse. I worked in Everglades City back in the mid sixties. Went down to Chocoloskee several times. If you had said the 10K Islands I would have known where it was located. That is a fishing paradise down there. Good luck on your trip. Looking forward to the photos.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:00 PM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
tbrillinger223,

I had a small lapse. I worked in Everglades City back in the mid sixties. Went down to Chocoloskee several times. If you had said the 10K Islands I would have known where it was located. That is a fishing paradise down there. Good luck on your trip. Looking forward to the photos.
Frank...
working in them parts even in the 60ies... I trust you were with NPS or....or the the club... lots of foreign agriculture was imported those parts...I always avoided close in that area late 60, 70, early 80
Old 06-09-2007, 08:33 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonefish41 View Post
Frank...
working in them parts even in the 60ies... I trust you were with NPS or....or the the club... lots of foreign agriculture was imported those parts...I always avoided close in that area late 60, 70, early 80
Hi Bonefish41,

I think I was there in 1965 or 1966. We were installing a Microwave system from Naples down to Flamingo including Everglades City. I can remember sitting in the Sportsman Club sipping a Rum and Coke when an old wooden Chris Craft yacht came in with the biggest Tarpon I have ever seen. In those days they were killing the Tarpon. We had a heck of a time convincing the NPS to let us put that tower at Flamingo. They made us paint the reflector green to fit in a little better. Right after we got the tower up I went to the site and found a dead bird that had flown into a guide wire. I didn't waste any time getting rid of the body. Later the NPS said that tower with the beacon on top was the best thing that could have happened to that area. The light was a great navigation aid for the fishermen. That was a fun job.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:55 AM

its amazing how a conversation about fishing can rekindle some fine memories. Frank you should write a book about your adventures. I would be the first one in line for a copy.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrillinger223 View Post
its amazing how a conversation about fishing can rekindle some fine memories. Frank you should write a book about your adventures. I would be the first one in line for a copy.
tbrillinger223,

That is a thought. My life has been one big adventure up till the past few years. Age has a way of slowing you down. I still try to get out bass fishing at least once a week but this drought has all the boat ramps closed on my home waters.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:59 AM

Had a blast on sunday. Sight fished early morning for reds and trout, didnt find a one. headed out in the Gulf side of flamingo to see if we could pick up some fish around channel markers. Found a triple tail hanging around one of the boundry signs threw a shrimp pattern to it and nothing. One of the guys fishing with us threw a live shrimp to it and bam, fish on. Fished the area for a while picked up a few trout (undersized) on live bait. later in the morning we headed out to an off shore wreck. That is when all the fun and antics began. there were schools of permit in the 5-10 lb calss, yellowtail jacks from 2-20 lbs, bluefish, spanish makerel, pompano, and sharks. I threw a pattern that resembled a pilchard into the schools of jacks and WOW that was crazy instant hook ups, play them for a while then the sharks would have their turn and end the fight in about a nano-second. we did manage to land several fish on conventional tackle. We went 4 for 12 on permit free lining shrimp, 1 cobia, a spanish makerel, and 2 pompano 1 of which I chased around the skiff before he and I both were in the water. He was about 3-5 lbs. brought the fly rod out again for permit and again sharks ended the battle. One of the guys was bringing a bluefish up into the boat and got sharked About a 5-7' bull shark came out of nowhere and took the fish. It go to the point that to bring fish into the boat we needed to use traditional gear and run them down with the trolling motor to keep the sharks from having a snack. Did manage to hook a hammerhead and tusseled with him for a few minutes. ALL IN ALL IT WAS AN EXCELLENT DAY.

p.s. Frank where are our home waters? Central Florida?