played with the Shad all morning

swirlchaser

Reaction score
Hit the beach this morning with some much welcomed company. Bass never came up but plenty of Shad to keep us busy. Gina even got into them with the flyrod! :)
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

wannafish

Reaction score
I was waiting for you to post a picture of a shad as I had never seen one; somewhat similar to bonefish in looks. I guess they used to run in the Saint John river here before the dams were put in and maybe they still do but I've never caught one.

Last edited:

swirlchaser

Reaction score
I normally fish them in June, in the Delaware river. They're a lot of fun on a 6wt. This time of year they pop in on the beaches. Not much fun on a 10wt but better than being skunked.

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

I was waiting for you to post a picture of a chad as I had never seen one; somewhat similar to bonefish in looks. I guess they used to run in the Saint John river here before the dams were put in and maybe they still do but I've never caught one.
You may have some land locked Shad above the dams but I'm pretty sure the dams have stopped the migration. In the river we catch them on what we call Shad darts. Size 1 hook, tinsel wrapped from the bend to the eye and a few wraps of bright chenille behind the eye. They don't get much easier than that.

gatortransplant

Reaction score
Then shad are much like freshwater drum (some call them sheepshead, not to be confused with sheepshead/convict-fish, the saltwater species) when I fish in Kentucky. Great fighters and voracious eaters, and very abundant! I plan on targeting them on the fly when I get a chance. Great look of joy in the second photo!

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I guess they used to run in the Saint John river here before the dams were put in and maybe they still do but I've never caught one.
That would be American Shad which are pounds larger than the hickory shad. Hickory shad are a relative new comer to the cold water northeast.
The hickorys do fight like little tarpon and while they're a by-product catch when fishing for stripers, they're still fun.

Last edited:

swirlchaser

Reaction score
Then shad are much like freshwater drum (some call them sheepshead, not to be confused with sheepshead/convict-fish, the saltwater species) when I fish in Kentucky. Great fighters and voracious eaters, and very abundant! I plan on targeting them on the fly when I get a chance. Great look of joy in the second photo!
She's a trooper, hung in there the whole morning. I was throwing a 30' T11 sinktip. Not exactly the best setup for a new caster. Luckily they were in close and she got to a few.

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 PM ----------

That would be American Shad which are pounds larger than the hickory shad. Hickory shad are a relative new comer to the cold water northeast.
The hickorys do fight like little tarpon and while they're a by-product catch when fishing for stripers, they're still fun.
Sorry for fishing a sinktip Riptide. Rip was too much today. I thought of you today when I switched out my reels. Lol:eek:

Last edited: