The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2007, 09:03 PM

SCangler is on a distinguished road
Default Rods for saltwater

I'm going saltwater fly fishing for the first time in a few weeks, and I'm wondering whats the minimum rod weight I'll need. I'll be fishing off the jettys in Charleston, SC so mainly just reds and maybe some bluefish. I'm pretty sure that my 5 wt won't work for this, but I've been wrong before.

Thanks,
- Matt
Old 06-11-2007, 07:55 PM

Flyinsalt is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rods for saltwater

I think an 8wt would be the mininum and a 9 wt would be a little better if there is any wind.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:11 AM

Cowboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I use to live in Charleston and fished the creeks and jetties. If you tie into a bluefish with a 5 wt. you are in for some real excitment, until he cuts through your leader. Personnaly, I would use at least a 8 wt. I have a 10 wt. that I used in the creeks for spottails and off shore for anything else. Hate to be under sized when a really big one hits.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:45 PM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough

What do you need?...if you are hooked on fly fishing then IMHO start with the best rod you can afford either store bought or blank bought and wrapped yourself all mine are blank bought(sage winston) and wrapped by me strubble or recoil seats recoil nickel ti guides...then you will never have five or six cheap rods in the closet which equal two good ones... start with the most universal salt which IMHO is 10wt...wind rod with 10 foot leader and 6-8 kg tippet... calm rod (with 12-16 foot leader down to 4- 5 kg tippet...saltwater 10 can fight anything from 1 lbs to 100 lbs...then get an 8wt and if you really get hooked on tarpon a 12...i started in salt a long time ago...40 plus years... with a michigan trout back-ground..5-6 and 7 was for night browns...first trip to the keys with what i thought was a 7wt canon...but an old grouchy keys guide...said.....you gotta get the GD fly to the fish ...here cast this...it was a shakes' wonderod 10/11 salmon rod...could just lift it...then he said... GD you P here... was a 10 wt browning silaflex...better for me at least i could could cast it in the wind out to 50 feet...never have forgotten his admonition get the fly to the fish ...other guides that i have used have been more restrained in language but it's always the same...get the fly to the fish and with wind which is usually the case in salt...requires weight...so 10 wt first
Old 06-14-2007, 08:16 AM

therrington is on a distinguished road

Matt,
Although I no longer routinely fish SC waters, I have had a lot of experience fishing those jetties with a fly rod. March brings out the really tough Reds of over 10 lbs. I caught my first Red over ten pounds there in 1975. I am not certain about the average size this time of year so check with your local fly shop. The problem fishing there at the jetties is that you have to have enough backbone in your fly rod to pull the Red away from the jetty or you will most certainly be cut off. I am sure one of the flyfishing stores there in Charleston can point you in the right direction for a rod in the price range that you need and one with enough power. Personally, I would go with a 10 wt for that specific purpose, however, a 9 wt will serve you better for all around fishing in the areas estuaries. It just all depends on how many rods you want to have at your hand for a specific use.