The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2007, 03:19 PM

BayouBuck is on a distinguished road
Default New to Saltwater Fly Fishing (need help)

I have used a 5wt 7'6" Orvis for fishing the bayous of Mississippi for bream and bass. I wanted to try my hand at bigger fish so I bought an 8wt el-cheapO white river combo from bass pro. The 8wt was hard to cast from my Kayak and the line on the thing was horrible. So i need help finding a setup the would be easly casted from a kayak but still has the backbone to fight the Reds and specks I want to catch. I have not found one fly shop around close so I am searching the net for some help. Any ideas
Old 06-13-2007, 07:17 PM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New to Saltwater Fly Fishing (need help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBuck View Post
I have used a 5wt 7'6" Orvis for fishing the bayous of Mississippi for bream and bass. I wanted to try my hand at bigger fish so I bought an 8wt el-cheapO white river combo from bass pro. The 8wt was hard to cast from my Kayak and the line on the thing was horrible. So i need help finding a setup the would be easly casted from a kayak but still has the backbone to fight the Reds and specks I want to catch. I have not found one fly shop around close so I am searching the net for some help. Any ideas
Change lines first...my preference for hot water fresh or salt rio bonefish or permit or cortland 444 tropic plus...you are in a kayak so unless your are a lefty kreh or joan wulf..your not going to get 80 foot distance...change line first see how you cast ask about your cast ...try mobile or n orleans or if northern miss delta bayu try memphis fly shops
Old 06-14-2007, 08:33 AM

therrington is on a distinguished road

Buck,
The fly shop in Ocean Springs can help you in selecting the proper rod.
The rod you need would depend on where you fish. In unobstructed areas you can get by with an exceptionally light rod. For example, one of the local rod reps here in Ocean Springs routinely catches 20 - 30+ lb Reds using 3 - 5 wts fishing the Biloxi Marsh. That said, I would suspect that a 7, 8, or 9 wt would work for you assuming that wind doesn't hamper your style too much. From a kayak I think that I would opt for the 7 wt. but try casting them all before deciding.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:08 AM

BayouBuck is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replys, I did not know thier was a shop in Ocean Springs. I am from Outside of Bay St. Louis but now live in central mississippi after the hurricane. Does anyone have a name for the fly shop in Ocean Springs or New Orleans. As for where I fish I spend alot of time in the State lakes around meridian mississippi but I try to get home once ar twice a month to fish saltwater.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:36 PM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBuck View Post
Thanks for the replys, I did not know thier was a shop in Ocean Springs. I am from Outside of Bay St. Louis but now live in central mississippi after the hurricane. Does anyone have a name for the fly shop in Ocean Springs or New Orleans. As for where I fish I spend alot of time in the State lakes around meridian mississippi but I try to get home once ar twice a month to fish saltwater.
I think the shop in New Orleans is Orvis. I'm going home on the 27th (Lafourche Parish) and hope to catch some Reds and Specks.

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 06-15-2007, 10:16 AM

The fly shop in Ocean Springs is Chandeleur Outfitters on Government Street.
The telephone number is (228)818-0030 and the owner is Rob Recio.
Website is Mississippi Fishing – Gulf Coast Fishing – Chandeleur Outfitters

While you are on line check out the Historic Ocean Springs Saltwater FlyFishing Club, Home - HOSSFLY - The Historic Ocean Springs Saltwater Flyfishing Club.
That would be yours truly holding the Cobia at the top of the page.

Tom Herrington
Old 06-15-2007, 02:27 PM

Colorado Cajun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by therrington View Post
The fly shop in Ocean Springs is Chandeleur Outfitters on Government Street.
The telephone number is (228)818-0030 and the owner is Rob Recio.
Website is Mississippi Fishing – Gulf Coast Fishing – Chandeleur Outfitters

While you are on line check out the Historic Ocean Springs Saltwater FlyFishing Club, Home - HOSSFLY - The Historic Ocean Springs Saltwater Flyfishing Club.
That would be yours truly holding the Cobia at the top of the page.

Tom Herrington
Nice Cobia! I've caught 1 before and it is still my biggest fish I've caught yet.

Give a man a fish, he will have dinner. Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner. Quote by Someone. *L*
Old 06-15-2007, 07:21 PM

tbrillinger223 is on a distinguished road

therrington,

what pattern did you hook your cobia on?
Old 06-16-2007, 06:50 AM

The fly on which I caught that specific Cobia was a double lepus, solid ginger with an orange hackle collar. Attached, I hope, is a double lepus in orange and yellow which most times is an even more effective color combo.
Cobia are as thick as thieves around the shallow rigs (40-75') here in the warm months. I have caught many through the years with legal size fish ranging from about 20 to 55 lbs and most on the sunrise double lepus pattern.
The problem in fishing the rigs, of course, is that it is similar to bass fishing in the stumps, one has to use a stout rod and line to power the fish from around or near the rig. So I opt for a 14 wt when usually a 12 wt would work well. Cobia are tough and fight deep many times and a rod with plenty of lifting power is needed when fishing that deeper water.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sunrise Collered Dbl Lepus.jpg (76.2 KB, 17 views)
Old 06-16-2007, 02:07 PM

tbrillinger223 is on a distinguished road

Therrington thank you for the pattern info.

next time we head out to flamingo/chocoloskee I am going to have to tye up a few. hopefully we can get the cobia in the boat before the bull sharks grab them.