The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2011, 05:56 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default I found this discount on a salt water reel

Temple Fork Outfitters Terry Hayden Reel from Backcountry.com

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 11-26-2011, 08:15 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: I found this discount on a salt water reel

Thanks Silver,

That is a huge reduction. Almost good enough to buy another reel I don't need.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:39 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
Thanks Silver,

That is a huge reduction. Almost good enough to buy another reel I don't need.
LOL, I was thinking the exact same thing!
Old 11-26-2011, 11:17 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Given the MSRP that IS a heck of a deal.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:26 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I seriously hope they have these for a bit. Big heavy spey sized reels.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:29 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't go by the MSRP too much. A big chunk of that has to do with the name on the reel. I can tell you that I handled that reel. It's a solid, well built drawbar reel. I didn't think it was worth the MSRP (the only name on a reel that impresses me is mine) but at that price it's a good buy.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:30 AM

fishordie is on a distinguished road

Thank you Silver for the Post,

I could not help myself and I bought the #3 for Tuna. Just hope I can get the kind of drag I need. No heavier than my Super 13 with a 14 spool. I guess I will find out if the quality is there. I needed a back up so this with an extra spool sounds really good to me. The site said there was only 1 available and since I bought it the #3 no longer shows as available so I guess I got the only one......

FOD
Old 11-27-2011, 10:14 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Jamie (Fishordie),

Let me know what you think of the #3. That's the one I was interested in, especially considering the extra spool price. It looks like it's got a good amount of area on the drag plates, and it's Type 111 anodized.

Can't imagine it not working well.

I just got in from trying a Leviathian 15 wt on my broomstick 12wt Sage - old Rplx that met with little commerial success, I understand, because it is more like a 13 or 14 wt. I undoubtedly should have started out with a 5 wt because I haven't thrown a line in at least 5 months due to a shoulder injury, but it feels good and I didn't overdo it. Also did a few stretches, pushups and exercises first to warm up the old muscles (or gristle).

But the leviathan is a very short head as opposed to the Rio tarpon taper 12 that I like, and it throws fine with the head plus about 15 feet of running line out. Much less running line out, and the loop acts weird. But the huge diameter is nice because it keeps those big hooks well away from you when you start the cast with the fly in your hand.

The sails are starting to show up, and I have upped the size of my flies to 10 or 11 inches with a popping head, and it's too much work (and too slow) to get them out using my (preferred taper) 12 wt tarpon line - so I figured I've give it a try. I'm happy with the results, and am sure I'll be happier when I get a real fly on the end. The Rio tarpon taper is the wrong taper for big flies, but great for tarpon size flies using a moderate to longer carry when stealth is an issue.

How are your preparations going for your tuna experiment?
Old 11-27-2011, 11:57 AM

fishordie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
Jamie (Fishordie),

Let me know what you think of the #3. That's the one I was interested in, especially considering the extra spool price. It looks like it's got a good amount of area on the drag plates, and it's Type 111 anodized.

Can't imagine it not working well.

I just got in from trying a Leviathian 15 wt on my broomstick 12wt Sage - old Rplx that met with little commerial success, I understand, because it is more like a 13 or 14 wt. I undoubtedly should have started out with a 5 wt because I haven't thrown a line in at least 5 months due to a shoulder injury, but it feels good and I didn't overdo it. Also did a few stretches, pushups and exercises first to warm up the old muscles (or gristle).

But the leviathan is a very short head as opposed to the Rio tarpon taper 12 that I like, and it throws fine with the head plus about 15 feet of running line out. Much less running line out, and the loop acts weird. But the huge diameter is nice because it keeps those big hooks well away from you when you start the cast with the fly in your hand.

The sails are starting to show up, and I have upped the size of my flies to 10 or 11 inches with a popping head, and it's too much work (and too slow) to get them out using my (preferred taper) 12 wt tarpon line - so I figured I've give it a try. I'm happy with the results, and am sure I'll be happier when I get a real fly on the end. The Rio tarpon taper is the wrong taper for big flies, but great for tarpon size flies using a moderate to longer carry when stealth is an issue.

How are your preparations going for your tuna experiment?
Hi Jim,

Now that Thanksgiving is behind us, as My Lady is the consummate lover of holidays where she and her mom cook and bake for days and we have tons of our friends and family over who have no where else to go (At least that is what they claim as they love coming here), I can get a few weeks to catch up on my fishing stuff. I have picked up a cross current 14 wt. to go with my heavier duty rig so this reel should go very nicely on it. I will be starting to play with the lines here shortly however the Teeny 750 G line which came on my reel does throw a single action cast very well when I decide to just ease the cast rather than muscle it as my mind keeps telling me to do. I also have their 550 and 650 g lines all of which came with the reel. I will be testing out my
hollow spectra connections to both ends of the fly line with a hollow loop on the ends for a loop to loop connection. I want to see how much 60 hollow I can get on the reel before I make a decision on the backing as I need to be able to hold a ton of line. I may even pick up an extra 14 spool for my Abel Super 13 just to get that added capacity.

I should be able to get this done within a few weeks as I am also remodeling our home. My next trip is a 14 day starting Jan. 6 so I have a bit of time but man it is coming fast and I want this fly gear ready to do battle on that trip.

I still plan on trying the Leviathan series to put on at least one of my spools.

Jamie
Old 11-27-2011, 01:06 PM

My Gulfstream held between 500 and 550 yds of 60 lb JB with a 12 wt Rio Floating if thats any help.