The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2007, 01:03 AM

Yoffione is on a distinguished road
Default SW Florida Trip

Me and a buddy headed down to SW Florida for 8 days of fishing last week and had an incredible trip. The fishing was great, as was the food, drinks and company. We rented kayaks for the first 5 days and paddled around the mangroves until the thunderstorms showed up in the afternoon. I caught my biggest snook and redfish ever the first morning out.
Image Posting Size Limits
Members shall not link to any images inside their message post that are wider than 550pxls. Oversize images will be deleted without notification.
Members may attach images to posts that are no larger than 620pxls x 280pxls with a total size no larger than 19.5kb. Valid file extensions are bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt zip

Members shall not link to any images inside their message post that are wider than 550pxls. Oversize images will be deleted without notification.
Members may attach images to posts that are no larger than 620pxls x 280pxls with a total size no larger than 19.5kb. Valid file extensions are bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt zip

the rest of the week I caught about 30 more snook but not anymore redfish. I did hook into something large that cut my line just after the hookset. Most likely a shark, we had seen a few small lemons.

Thurs and fri we went looking for tarpon with a guide in Tampa Bay. It was unbelievable! The conditions were not great for flyfishing, due to the spookyness of the fish, so we opted for live bait.

We would locate the fish when they surfaced and the guide would try and position the boat to where he thought they would go. We would the cast and free line the cork and greenback watching the dark pod approach. The anticipation was intense when they were all around your bait. We jumped 10 fish in 2 days and landed 4.

The smallest hooked was around 70 lbs and looked like a dink compared to the others we jumped. He spit the hook. All the fish we landed were 120 -140 lbs.

We took measurements on the fish I landed on the beach and the guide calculated it to 131 lbs. I had on a monster that I fought for 45 minutes and the hook pulled, he was HUGE. We went back to Cape Coral and waded some sand bars looking for pompano, but found a few more snook. It was an awesome trip and we are already planning for next year.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:05 AM

mate223 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SW Florida Trip

That look like a lot of fun, I must say.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Yoffione,

Sounds like a great trip. What area were you fishing? Can you resize your photos and post again?
Old 06-19-2007, 12:19 PM

tbrillinger223 is on a distinguished road

yoffione,

sounds like you a great time. the fishing is like that all year round. but far superior in the summer.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:48 PM

Frank we were in Cape Coral, and fished around Pine Island. Great access and very little pressure. Tarpon were in Tampa Bay. I resized and I'll try the pic thing again. I have not had a problem before.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Yoffione,

Thanks for reposting the photos. Pine Island and Pine Island Sound is a great fishery. Were you fishing with a guide?
Old 06-19-2007, 05:35 PM

We rented some very nice kayaks the first 5 days and did our own thing on Pine Island. I talked with quite a few people before we left and scouted alot on google earth. It worked, we were in fish all the time and very little pressure. We did have a guide in Tampa Bay for 2 days for the tarpon. He is awesome and this was my fourth trip with him, but my first for poons with him. I would highly recommend him if anyone is interested.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Frank, Joni, anybody, where has this member gone? I've seen a bunch of his post, but he has not been here since before I joined the forum, seemed like a good egg to have around.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-18-2011, 01:02 AM

p175634 is on a distinguished road

What flies did you use and what tactic worked for you?

tight lines
Craig Moore
www.flyfishing-flies.com