The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2011, 05:02 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Double headers and the "trout rigs" revenge

Hit the beach around 11 this morning. I had planned to fish 2 hrs of the incoming and 2 or the outgoing tide. I came across the usual suspects, shot the breeze for a few minutes and basically listened to them complain about too many Shad and not enough Stripers. After hearing this it decided to use two flies. A 4" at the bottom and. 2" sand eel up top so the Shad could keep me entertained. Of course this fired up the peanut gallery. Danny was first, " what are you gonna do with that "trout rig???". We all chuckled and I started fishing. After a few Shad my rod took a nice bend. Could it be a Striper? Nope, a Shad on each fly. The peanut gallery fired up, " nice job, now you got two fish u didn't want instead of one! ". I laughed a bit, lit a cigarette and got back in the water. A few more casts and bam, a nice hit. The line went slack them bam, again. This was an odd fish, swam every which way then took off, I was into my backing in no time. After a few minutes my fly line was back on my reel and we all saw exectly what had happened. The "trout rig" had it's revenge and I had the last laugh with double Stripers.

A PAIR OR SHAD, KEEP LAUGHIN GUYS...
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
TROUT RIG'S REVENGE.
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Last edited by swirlchaser; 12-02-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:14 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Double headers and the "trout rigs" revenge

Cool Swirl! Don't you love it when that happens.?
Old 12-02-2011, 05:21 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
Cool Swirl! Don't you love it when that happens.?
Yup! We all use double flies from time to time but I guess it was break Marco's chops day. Always better when u get the last laugh.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:43 PM

latshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura aboutlatshki has a spectacular aura about

LOL bet that shut them up!
I love when this kind of stuff happens, nice fish too!
Old 12-02-2011, 05:47 PM

Thanks. Everyone started casting a little harder but not much was said I even had to take my own own pic for the second pair!
Old 12-02-2011, 06:57 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Nice double Marco! You minds as well have caught a double of socks to place them in the mouths of the hecklers! Had to be an interestingly chaotic fight for sure.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 12-02-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
Nice double Marco! You minds as well have caught a double of socks to place them in the mouths of the hecklers! Had to be an interestingly chaotic fight for sure.
Lol, they're a great bunch of guys but I'm glad it worked out this way!
Old 12-02-2011, 09:46 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I know what you mean, we fishermen are a bunch of trash-talkers and liars, haha.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 12-02-2011, 10:59 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

nice work man! i'll bet your buds are gonna be rockin the old "trout rig" now
i've never touched a fly to water in the salt, but damn does it look fun

casey

ARFE
Old 12-03-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
nice work man! i'll bet your buds are gonna be rockin the old "trout rig" now
i've never touched a fly to water in the salt, but damn does it look fun

casey
Yup. I use two flies alot. Smaller fish like the two in the pic swim close together and doubles are more common than you think. 25+lb fish will rarely double up because they give each other a little more room.

Last edited by swirlchaser; 12-03-2011 at 10:27 AM.