The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 09:44 AM

tryin2fly is on a distinguished road
Default New Here, which fly line?

Hey guys, I'm new here and rather new to fly fishing. I live at the beach and love the intracoastal redfishing. So I've decided to pick up flyfishing. Got a pretty good outfit(I think) I've put together for Christmas and now I'm working on the line. Just trying to get some line on until I can get some better line in a month or 2. Right now I'm looking at cortlands fairplay from dicks or some scientific anglers bass/swt bbt line on ebay or some SA air cell. All are about the same price.
Here's the links:
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...414792.4414806

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scientific-A...#ht_665wt_1270

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scientific-A...#ht_627wt_1270

Which would you suggest? I think the big bass taper might help with larger flies but really I'm not sure if it wouldn't be recommended for redfish. I know for fly line both are really cheap but that's kind of what I need right now.

If you're wondering, my fly outfit consists of:
Okuma SLV 8/9 from amazon -$45
Cabelas Wind River 8wt rod - $40
Probably 16lb leader, we get put on 30"+ reds pretty commonly
Spent quite some time trying to find good beginner stuff at good prices and I'm open to any veteran opinions.

Also I live in southern North Carolina and I will mostly be fishing from boat in creeks and bays/flats.

Thanks!

Last edited by tryin2fly; 12-07-2011 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Location
Old 12-07-2011, 09:50 AM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default Re: New Here, which fly line?

id recommend getting the the cortland tropic plus if you cant afford it ebay it
Old 12-07-2011, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hello,

Welcome to the forum, we have a lot of salt water fishermen here and soon one of them will spot your post and tell you their thoughts I'm sure. I do fish in the surf but this is not my normal, I spend most of my time fishing the rivers. When I take a trip to one of the bays I don't worry over fly line, I use what I have spooled on the reels. One thing to consider is to place an adequate amount of backing on the reel before whichever line you choose. If the fish can run 30 pounds then consider at least a 30 pound salt water dacron back line. Where exactly are you along the shore? Knowing stuff like that is always helpful and may uncover members who live near or fish the same area.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-07-2011, 10:02 AM

I live in southern North Carolina and I mostly fish from a boat in creeks and bays/flats. Not really any shore fishing.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:05 AM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

oh cold weather well try the Sa striped bass or an intermediate
Old 12-07-2011, 10:30 AM

Well just for starters, what are your opinions on the ones i've posted? I plan on getting different line soon but just for right now.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:43 AM

i like bass lines
Old 12-07-2011, 12:00 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Most people here know how "cheap" I am (I prefer to think of it as frugal ) but here's what I do.

I never buy specialty lines. As far as I'm concerned all you'll ever need for the fishing you have in mind is a regular weight forward floating line.
If down the road you find that you are having trouble casting larger flies, you can cut back on the front level tip of the line up to the beginning of the front taper (about 6 inches) and this will more closely approximate the taper of a factory SW/ bass floating line.
In most cases this would not be necessary .... but you can if you need to.
(As far as I know that Fair Play line has a more aggressive taper than an average weight forward and might make for the best choice between the three.)
I also over-line my saltwater rods by at least one size. The heavier line loads the rod better and make casting oversized flies easier
Old 12-07-2011, 12:11 PM

Ahhhhh good answer

( ̄ー ̄)wise you are
Old 12-07-2011, 12:55 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I would go with the Cortland. The two SA lines are fairly old lines. They've been sitting in a shop for a while and are probably pretty dried up by now. I've had older line come out of the box looking ok but a few days in the saltwater and they started cracking.

I figured a little more info would help here. A fly line that's fished and rinsed regularly can last for years but when a line goes onto a factory spool, into a box and then sits for a few years in will eventually become brittle.