The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2011, 10:26 AM

cochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant future
Default Headed to FL, need some info

Hey guys, I am headed to FL in a few days and would love any info on a place to wet a line. I am willing to hit anywhere inside of a three hour drive from Ft Lauderdale.

I have a good guide in the area but he is 600$ per day and funds are tight with the slow construction economy. I will have all my own gear and willing to do what it takes.

I am gracious and quiet about a good spot if you are so inclined. Also if you have a great guide in the area I would take info on that as well.

Thanks.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:24 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma
Default Re: Headed to FL, need some info

Near Fort lauderdale airport is the Bass Pro Shop(head west). Stop in the fly shop and see what is running the beach(Dania Beach) near there. If you're going to fish the beach, watch the signs near the pier @ Dania Beach. The owner can be not so friendly to beach fishermen. To the left of the pier is private land that has good fishing as well. Be weary of rays and such close to shore, if you decide to wade. Conventional fishing off the pier is cheap and it can be very productive. If you're looking for fresh water, head directly away from the airport/beach for as long as you can drive(west again). In about 20-30 minutes, you will cross I26. Continue straight into Everglades Holiday Park. Excellent peacock/largemouth fishing in the canals. Or...think about renting an air boat(guided) and head into aliigator alley. If you're going to fish around the canals, please be aware of where you walk. Iguana's, gators, cotton mouths, and some pythons love hiding in the grass. Wow...all this made me really miss living down there. The park was so exotic with peacock birds,& parrots. I loved it!
Old 12-14-2011, 11:44 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Okuma's tip on rays is a really good one. If you wade, a pair of "ray guards" that fit your lower legs is a wise investment. You may never need them, but the one time you do is soooooooo worth it!

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:21 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

drive down to key largo go to john pennekamp state park rent a kayak and paddle into the largo sound loads of speckled seatrout and other flats fish
Old 12-14-2011, 05:02 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Cochise, how long will you be down there? I'm headed to my parents' house in Sarasota (directly across the state) but won't be there til the 17th or 18th.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 12-14-2011, 09:53 PM

cochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant future

I will be there form the 16th to the 23rd.

Thanks for the info so far guys. I really like the idea of the kayak off of key largo!
Old 12-15-2011, 08:23 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

There are two guides in Miami that I would highly recommend. Cordell Baum in Coral Gables is a kayak/canoe guide who is very, very reasonable. He goes by Bonefish Whisperer and is a former Alaskan transplant to Miami.

He has basically quit guiding in Biscayne Bay for bones since the freeze and now is guiding inland for baby tarpon, jacks, peacocks and largemouth. He has the peacocks and lake tarpon dialed in - depending on weather. He will give you a long day at a very, very reasonable cost. He pretty much insists on starting before dawn. He poles a wide, stable stand-up canoe, and, as a former competitive weight lifter, can do so for many miles without a break.

He cannot tie his bonefish and permit flies fast enough to keep up with the demand. I have fished with him for permit prior to the freeze, and he had both the bones and permit in West Biscayne bay down pat as to their feeding habits. I would highly recommend contacting him, and will send him an email if you are truly interested.

Bob LeMay is another excellent guide who sight fishes baby tarpon at night under Miami bridge lights - starting times depending on the tides. If he says chances are good for tarpon, then they are very good. He also fishes out of Flamingo every week and knows both Whitewater Bay and the stretch between Flamingo and the Shark River probably better than any other guide around. He trailers his skiff to Flamingo. He also ties flies commercially. His expenses are higher than Cordell's so his rates will reflect that. For a back-country glades trip for snook, reds and tarpon, he would be my first recommendation.

Although I have not fished with Bob yet, we chat on an internet forum, and like Cordell, he knows what he's doing. I read an article he wrote for one of the magazines, and it was probably the best back-country tarpon fishing article I've ever read. It was clearly obvious that he is a very observant guy.

I don't think you can go wrong with either of them. This is one of the months noted for high winds, and both can get you out of it and into fish. And both are long time fly fishermen themselves.

PM me for their email addresses if you are interested.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 12-15-2011, 10:53 AM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

check out dave sdaler at turtlegrass charters hes a great guide in biscayne bay