The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2011, 07:13 PM

mort is on a distinguished road
Default Salt water rods WTB

Heading to Belize next june and I am looking to get an inexpensive 12wt flyrod for Tarpon. I was looking at the TFO Bluewater and Redington Predator rods. Both are in the same price range as well as a used Scott s3s.

Any comments on which would be the better bet?

Thanks
Old 12-20-2011, 07:21 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default Re: Salt water rods WTB

tfo itcr is a great rod same as the ticrx the only difference between them is the ticrx has more feel and is more accurate but i dont care for it
Old 12-20-2011, 07:35 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I'm also in the market for a 12wt for tarpon. I'm currently looking at Rise Fishing Co., while also working in earnest to convince Allen to make a 12wt

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 12-20-2011, 10:44 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mort View Post
Heading to Belize next june and I am looking to get an inexpensive 12wt flyrod for Tarpon. I was looking at the TFO Bluewater and Redington Predator rods. Both are in the same price range as well as a used Scott s3s.

Any comments on which would be the better bet?

Thanks
Here's a third option: It's hard to beat the Colton Leviathan's specs, if you ask me. I've never fished them, but at ~$160 right now, the tech specs and price are hard to beat. They're at the very least worth investigating. Send them an email (google Colton Rods), and Bob Filger will get back to you asap with answers to your questions.

I'd love to buy one of their blanks, since the missus and I have a deal that I can only build new fly rods (her theory is that it slows down the rate of purchase), but Colton don't offer their blanks for sale.

In any case, I'm not affiliated with Colton in any way, but 80+ million modulus sounds pretty cool.

Cheers,
--Rob

Last edited by biggie_robs; 12-21-2011 at 12:01 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-21-2011, 08:38 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

If you have found a used Scott S3s at a low price I would be inclined to select it over the imports that tend to be more brittle. #12 rods must absorb substantial flex compression and it is hard to design a rod that can cast and lift. One import that I have found can take a beating is the Albright XX; you'll find Albright Tackle on the internet.

Pardon my 2 cents but if I was spending the $ to fish in Belize (which I have done once and loved the experience) the last place I would look to save money would be on my tackle. A Sage Xi3 with a big Abel or Tibor is a liftime investment. You are fishing for permit and tarpon there so you need to a #9 riged with a small crab and a #10 with a heavy crab + the tarpon rod. There are bonefish aplenty in Belize but they are smallsh and often feed on reef flats resplendent with live coral that it is best not to walk on environmentaly and angling wise. I would have a #7 or 8 bonefish rod rigged with a tiny crab or shrimp fly in case I saw a bone from the boat but I would not go to Belize to target bonefish.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:50 AM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

i second the notion tarpon will rip apart sub par tackle
Old 12-27-2011, 05:38 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
I'm also in the market for a 12wt for tarpon. I'm currently looking at Rise Fishing Co., while also working in earnest to convince Allen to make a 12wt
Jason and Amanda are good people. Hardcore Long Island Striper fishermen, I think you'll like their rods.