The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2007, 12:01 PM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough
Default Out of the Frying Pan into The Fire

The "pan" is the midwest...the "fire" is key west...goin south Sunday for late july permit...but may have to sleep in the car rental as the "bug" aka florida lobster two day season is wednesday and thursday...why now ? as I have said before...the best guides are available now tooo those of us who cannot book a whole month or two during "cooler times"
Old 07-23-2007, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Out of the Frying Pan into The Fire

So you're seeking pity from us as you're headed to fish for Permit in Key West?

Good luck with that.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:05 PM

tbrillinger223 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonefish41 View Post
The "pan" is the midwest...the "fire" is key west...goin south Sunday for late july permit...but may have to sleep in the car rental as the "bug" aka florida lobster two day season is wednesday and thursday...why now ? as I have said before...the best guides are available now tooo those of us who cannot book a whole month or two during "cooler times"
Bonefish41,

I made my reservations for this saturday night for the same thing but up in marathon. we went down last weekend (sunday) to grab some fish on the flats and no dice! the water was really warm and may have been too hot on the flats. unfortunately you do not have the luxury like you said to come back after september (sometimes as far as december) when the weather cools off. look forward to reading your post when you get back.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:13 PM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough

The good...the bad...the ugly...slam bonefish 9wt TCR, permit 10 wt TCR, tarpon 11 wt three piece xtr..last day; hooked the guide...I fell off the casting platform...forgot the water...but did not have me hat blow off under way; sharks aplenty...they dined on my tarpon 50-70 lbs deep hooked within seconds of release and a wisper of blood...a bull cut him in half and that was less than 10 minute to release...guess everyones got to eat...

conditions light wind under 10 and calm BUT thin clouds causing extreme glare...my sight was no more than 30 feet into the water and the guide's no more than 60-70 into the water...if they did not wake or tail it was close fishing and lots of turn aways cause I could not fire quick and accurate...the only fish caught that I saw to cast was the permit and it was in a school of 10 to 15 coming head on...the sight was so bad that the guide had me casting to a barra wake to fill the bonefish leg...probably my best cast of the trip 65-70 feet perfect and he was on until gone with a small merkin.

The funny...school of permit... set up perfect... cast good...hooked not a permit but hooked a fast six inch blue runner traveling with them and faster to the merkin...good time but definitely not the time to go during the two day mobster lobster season
Old 07-27-2007, 07:08 AM

tbrillinger223 is on a distinguished road

maybe next year...