The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2012, 08:42 PM

mtbrider405 has a spectacular aura aboutmtbrider405 has a spectacular aura about
Default Going to Miami. Need Help Finding a Quick Spot

Well I just found out I might be going to miami in 2 weeks for work AND I might have some time late in the day to fish. The main problem is I won't have THAT much time so I need suggestions on ANYWHERE to go close to the Miami Airport Area. I don't care what I get to fish for, but I would love to get to through some line on the jobs dime. Even if it is only for an hour or two.

I think All I will take is my 8 weight and box of salty flies. Clousers, popper, deceivers, and crazy charlie's.

Is there anywhere close? Any possible thing I could catch?

Thanks a ton for suggestions!
-Jason
Old 01-18-2012, 10:06 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all
Default Re: Going to Miami. Need Help Finding a Quick Spot

There was a TV program of guys fishing the canals near the airport. (Didn't mention anything about gators being in the canals.) There's got to be some fishing shops that can help you.

Also, I imagine you can always fish from the surf.

I've fished the Intercoastal Canal - from the banks - but that's in Miami Beach.

Randy
Old 01-18-2012, 10:45 AM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

use google maps to find the saltwater canals they hold snapper and baracuda
Old 01-18-2012, 11:04 AM

mtbrider405 has a spectacular aura aboutmtbrider405 has a spectacular aura about

That's what I have been doing. There are some with parks right on the water. Might be easy access. How far inland will those fish move? Some of these look nice Im just afraid I'd be casting into a lot of water with no fish.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:11 PM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

By the hotels on South Beach there are a couple of streets that you can park and walk the beach. Usually get some nice Jacks, Ladyfish And small blues this time of year.
Behind the strip mall at nw 57th ave and and nw 7th st ( I believe it's called the Air Park Plaza Strip) I've done real good with Peacock Bass. You can usually spot them in the canal as you walk.
The Airport Lakes are also good just hard to find parking.
One other spot I've done well at is the Tamiami Canal by Krome ave. Little bit of everything.
Have fun. Love fishing Miami.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 01-18-2012, 03:26 PM

Thanks a lot theboz! I will check out all those spots. Any recs on what flies I should bring?

Thanks!
Jason

---------- Post added at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 PM ----------

The canal behind that strip mall is very close to where im staying but on google sat it looks like much of the south shore is fenced off. Can you get inside that fence somewhere? Is that ok to do?
Old 01-19-2012, 02:25 AM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

Try clousers and bucktail streamers on the beach, anything with a little white Krystal flash or flashabou in them . Also like fry flys and glass minnows. Lighter colored shrimp patterns.
Poppers , zonker strip patterns( like the ones used for pike) work well on the peacocks. Orange and white clousers seem to work great if you can't spot any peacocks. Sometimes they follow sometimes they slam it. Either way you know where they are. Good fishing ! I'll be there next month, can't wait!

---------- Post added at 03:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 AM ----------

There is a wide open section of fence and you can fish there . Try by the bridge also.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser