The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012, 08:22 PM

flyfrod is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie to Saltwater Flyfishing!!

My father is fairly new to flyfishing and is going to cancun in april. He wants to try flyfishing. As I only fish freshwater I was wondering what for rod, reel, and line you might suggest for him to use. I dont want him to spend a lot of money for something he might use once or twice a year.
Thanks
Old 01-29-2012, 08:26 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default Re: Newbie to Saltwater Flyfishing!!

allen xa 8 weight with an allen alpha 2 reel. or my set up is a tfo bvk 9 weight with a okuma integrity 8/9
Old 01-29-2012, 08:44 PM

What are the thoughts on the Ross Essence FS or FC rods and Orvis Hydro or Allen Alpha ll reels? Or other Suggestions.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:58 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

the local fly shop does not have many good things to say about ross or orvis. "Ross makes reels not rods" the alpha 2 is held with great respect among the other forum members. what kind species is your father looking into?
Old 01-29-2012, 10:24 PM

I think he's hoping for bonefish, tarpon, snook and maybe permit.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:03 AM

he needs at least an 8 weight
Old 01-30-2012, 12:17 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I recommend that he book a charter first. The $350-$450 will be well spent. Chances are the first setup he buys will be replaced quickly if he enjoys it. Book a charter, use their gear and get a feel for what he needs. I promise you he will spend the same money either way.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:22 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

I just picked up a Ross essence FC 11wt. I am also new to the salt, and have not caught anything on this rod yet (stuck in CO!), so take my advice with a huge grain of SALT! Ha! I love dumb puns.
I did get to take the rod to the park though for some distance casting on a windy afternoon.
I was able to hit the 80' mark several times, coming within a few feet to the end of my tape measure. So... I think it is fairly accurate, and pretty easy to cast. I was double hauling a 10wt WFF line and having a blast! I have only cast a 10-11 wt a few times on the water, but for $160 I'm happier than a pig in schlitz.

I found an Orvis battenkill V for $160 to match it. In principle, I am kind of opposed to Orvis' shops and their style (ie they only sell their own, and kinda snooty). But, it is a respectable brand with some longevity, so I thought I would forgo my principles to get a nice affordable large arbor with a good warranty; it was found via a fly shop closeout site.

Side note: I went into the local orvis store to check it out, the guy gave me the up and down, must have decided I was not their target audience, and ignored me. In a town of 100,000 with 2 locally owned fly shops, these guys post up and try to edge in. Not very classy, kind of like a starbucks. The reel is schweeeeet though...
Old 01-30-2012, 10:19 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
I recommend that he book a charter first. The $350-$450 will be well spent. Chances are the first setup he buys will be replaced quickly if he enjoys it. Book a charter, use their gear and get a feel for what he needs. I promise you he will spend the same money either way.
That's sage advice right there! I would use their gear, then decide on something after. milt.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:10 AM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfrod View Post
I think he's hoping for bonefish, tarpon, snook and maybe permit.
I'm not sure there's one rod that will do all that well.