The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By swirlchaser
  • 2 Post By fire instructor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2012, 01:30 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default A gift of a day, even with no fish

I don't ever remember 61 degrees in Feb. Well, this Wed we had it and I had to hit the beach. Didn't expect a single fish and I was right but we had a great day on the beach, on Feb 1st no less!

Look at that switch rod bend
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Tough to concentrate with her with me )
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Rip Tide likes this.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:01 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: A gift of a day, even with no fish

As the old saying goes, "A bad day fishing beats a good day at work, anytime!"
swirlchaser and lthrnk03 like this.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 02-04-2012, 10:28 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire instructor View Post
Absolutely. I just can't stay off the beach.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

That looks like fun Marco. it's good to see another guy getting his gal out fishing with him.
61 degrees in Feb....crazy! Out here it seems our Winters are transitioning into being more mild and warmer, though this one compared to last year we have had way less moisture.
I think they're calling for some 50's here in the upcoming week. Perhaps I need to start doing some early shrub and tree trimming before they start budding.

What type of flies do you throw this time of year?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-04-2012, 12:37 PM

We've had snow once this year (under 3") it was gone in two days. I'm loving the mild winter. The surf is 45 degrees, Stripers are feeding on crabs this time of year since it's too cold for baitfish. I don't really harp on patterns too much but I do concentrate on a painfully slow retrieve. She loves being outdoors so we're a perfect match. Her cast is improving so maybe we can leave than spinning reel behind this coming season.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:51 PM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire instructor View Post
I will take a day fishing in the pouring rain, instead of sitting at my desk anytime!
Old 02-05-2012, 10:57 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Yeah, this weather is crazy, it was weird not clearing ice from the guides the other day... And it sure is great having a significant other that also likes to fish! Get her a switch/spey rod, Marco, that way she can cannon those casts out there!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-06-2012, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
Yeah, this weather is crazy, it was weird not clearing ice from the guides the other day... And it sure is great having a significant other that also likes to fish! Get her a switch/spey rod, Marco, that way she can cannon those casts out there!
Working on it, she's pretty comfortable with a 5 and 6wt but the 10wt single hand is a little much for her 5' frame. I think a switch rod is in the future.