The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 12:05 PM

houli has a spectacular aura abouthouli has a spectacular aura about
Default Gel-spun vs Dacron Backing

I'm outfitting my new Lamson Guru 3.0 reel and not sure what to get. I'd like to have versatility of both fresh and salt so leaning toward GSP to get more capacity on the reel (manufacturer says 150 yds of 20# - assuming dacron here).

Anyone have an opinion here? Go with 20lb Dacron, 30lb GSP or 45lb GSP? How much GSP is enough for salt (schoolie striper, smallish bonefish/redfish etc.)

Thanks.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:24 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Gel-spun vs Dacron Backing

Gel spun has a smaller diameter than dacron, so you'll got more on the reel, but it's also more expensive, although how much more I don't know. If you feel you really need the extra backing & can afford the extra cost. Go with the GSP.

What we choose for backing boils down to intended use & what we can afford.

If you're married it might even be a matter of what cost you can justify!

For me, I use regular 30lb dacron trolling line for backing on my larger reels. I have some 15 & 20 lb Micron backing on some of the smaller reels. I likely lose a little capacity with the regular dacron, but not enough to worry about for the fishing I do most. The regular dacron is slightly cheaper in price, and I bought a 1200 yard spool of it. I could probably have used 20lb but got a great price on the 30, and again the capacity difference is not an issue. I don't feel the GSP is worth the added cost for my purpose, so stick with dacron.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 02-07-2012, 12:58 PM

My use will be 80% Freshwater (SMB & LMB) and 20% salt (Chesapeake Bay/OBX) .... that make a difference in what you'd recommend?

Price isn't a big issue ...... just want to be prepared for what I may run into.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:23 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Not really. In the salt, there's always the possibility of hooking up with a fish that can strip the reel. It happens. Where I fish most, farther up towards the middle of the Chesapeake, & more so in the rivers & creeks, there's less chance of it happening. You get down close to the mouth of the bay & at OBX, there can be some fish at certain times of the year that could possibly give you trouble. Should it happen, nothing you can do about it. That's fishing!

As best as we try to prepare for the worst scenerio's, there's no way we can cover them all. If you feel it's possible you might get into Albacore or some of the other strong speedsters, and price is not an issue then definitely go with the GSP. Either will work for most fishing & species in those areas.

I primarily fish for both SM & LM bass, Striped Bass & Bluefish. Have even tried Redfish in SC, but have yet to hook up on one. I've caught Flounder & Seatrout, plus other species on flies too. None of them are known for stripping reels, as long as you have a reasonable backing capacity, you're as prepared as you can be. IMO you have it covered as best you can.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 02-07-2012, 01:28 PM

what would you say is safe capacity? 100 yds .... 150 yds .... 200 yds?
Old 02-07-2012, 01:30 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Let's say you put 150 yards of either gel spun or dacron on a reel. Okay, so that's 1 and 1/2 football fields. If you're not moblie by either a boat of some type, or running like all get out...chances are the fish will win.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:18 PM

hahaha - well put.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
what would you say is safe capacity? 100 yds .... 150 yds .... 200 yds?
Not sure what you mean. Safe for a LM bass is certainly going to be different than safe for a 150lb Tarpon. I feel you should fill the reel to capacity, making sure you do it properly, leaving sufficient room for the fly line not to be bound up in the reel. Only way I know to do it, is to wind the line on first, then connect the backing & wind it on, then once you get it to where it should be, strip it all off & reverse it. A bit time consuming, but better than guessing.

If the manufacturer says the reel holds 150 yards of 20 lb backing, and you use less backing, you're really not taking advantage of the reels design. Then in that case, your initial question & concern would have been a moot point.

Again, it gets back to the usage. I know the reels I use have more capacity than I need for the fish species I chase most, yet I still fill the reels. Yes, still always that chance of hooking something that's going to strip me, but in my case, even though I feel that chance is slim, the extra capacity is cheap insurance.

You could certainly be OK with less backing for the fish you intend to chase, but since the capacity is there, why not use it?

Funny, two guys I know who use very high end reels, with large capacities have told me they've both had their line stripped in the past while fishing for Stripers. Unfortunately, both got fouled hooked into the propellers of passing boats. Not something you can prepare for, or do anything about when it happens but stuff like that does sometimes happen.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:11 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, you only buy Backing ONCE, I say go for the Gel. Man, it is hard as heck to cut with scissors.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:35 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Around here it's recommended that you have a minimun of of 150 yards of backing on your reel...
I know for a fact that that's someones fly fishing fantasy and that most of us will never see the 75 yard mark, if you're extremely lucky (or unskilled) 100
On my reels, if I can fit any more than 100 yards of micron, I'm satisfied