The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 10:00 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Afternoon out

Had a great afternoon on the water. I'm going up to Melbourne to take a fly tying class and learn the names of the new materials out there since I haven't tied any flies since jungle cock eyes were still legal. I'll also be checking out a couple of rods. I need to get one for my daughter, So when Wayn called this morning, I figured I'd better go fishing to make sure I remembered how to throw flies before I get there.

We caught caught 4 reds apiece, doubling on two of them at a spot we traded Charlie our permit spot for. They were waiting for our arrival. There are not that many good spots on the Keys side of Florida Bay and Charlie's is very close to where I live.

Finger mullet were everywhere , and the water had cleared just barely enough to be able to spot them in a foot of water.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

I'm thinking the tarpon season is going to kick off earlier than normal this year with the mild winter and warm water temps.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 02-17-2012, 10:03 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Afternoon out

Hey Jim,

It woulda been fun to be right there with you, I am still 60 days away from any open water here.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-17-2012, 11:03 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Looks like a good day, Jim! I'm really looking forward to getting down there and getting out on the flats with ya! I'll have to work on my casting before then so I'm not blowing every opportunity I get... maybe I'll just stick to the cameraman position, hahaha.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-17-2012, 11:11 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

outstanding post jim!
thanks for the great pics
its always a pleasure to see pics like that in february

casey

ARFE
Old 02-20-2012, 11:23 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Well, you'd have liked it Ard. Nice and warm and plenty of fish. But redfish are nothing like salmon for fun.

Been too busy to do anything to the boat, AJ, but will get to it before long.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:28 AM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

I'll take "sight fishing," for Reds over any two trout or salmon. To each his own. Used to fish those waters near Melbourne a lot and other great places in Florida. Great pics.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 02-21-2012, 08:16 AM

Atlantic salmon are pretty are pretty special to me for their acrobatics, and probably because of the number of casts per fish.

It's all good though, but sight fishing is where my heart lies, whether on the flats, the reef or bluewater. Wayne and I went out to the permit hole the following day, and he caught one 28 lbs on a live crab. I got only one shot at a pair that knew we were there before he hooked up.

I've decided to buy a canoe to drag behind my Mako for permit. Between that and the new vise to tie up some radical flies, I'll get the skunk off this coming fall.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 02-21-2012, 12:01 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Jim: Nice trip report and photos! Does the heart good to see someone fishing in February in a short sleeve shirt, shorts and barefoot! Everything is frozen solid around here except for the tailwaters.