The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 08:09 AM

alexl993 is on a distinguished road
Default Spinning tackle for a fly fishing trip?

I'm off to Grand Bahama in April for a fly fishing trip but we will have some opportunity for spin fishing in the evenings for Cuda, Jacks or possibly even tarpon or sharks. Using the fly rod is possible but not practical due to the rocks and the height of the jetty. What's your recommendation for spinning tackle?

I've got an Okuma Inshore Nomad rod (med-heavy) and a Shimano Saragosa 6000 reel. I've also ordered an TFO heavy spinning rod. Would this be adequate??
Old 02-24-2012, 11:53 AM

bhflyfisher has a spectacular aura aboutbhflyfisher has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Spinning tackle for a fly fishing trip?

I think some guys take the hooks off lures, cast to the fish, and bring them in close. Then once in easy casting distance drop the fly in front of them. And get that lure out of the water. Could Be worth a try.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:33 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Beware of the dark side (spin tackle)
Old 02-24-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhflyfisher View Post
I think some guys take the hooks off lures, cast to the fish, and bring them in close. Then once in easy casting distance drop the fly in front of them. And get that lure out of the water. Could Be worth a try.
In fact we did something like that on your last trip. The guys who were spinning were 'teasing' the jacks to the surface and we landed two on fly rods. Great fun to catch but difficult to hook-up. Line management on the rocks was also and problem.

Anyway, we thought it was a good change of pace to switch to spinning after a full day of chasing bones on the fly
Old 02-24-2012, 04:24 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I fish jetties alot. If your going to flyfish you will need two things, a stripping basket for line management, and a pair of Rocktracks. Landing the fish is the problem, if your not wearing cleats you won't be able to climb down to the lower, wet rocks to land the fish. If you want to stay on the top of the jetty then get spinning gear heavy enough to let you swing the fish up to you. If it was me I would take a 9' 12-20lb surf rod, and my VanStaal 150.

*** An inshore style rod will have a soft tip, this will make swinging fish up difficult. Try to get your hands on a surf rod.

These have saved my life MANY, MANY times.
Fishing Cleated Overshoe | RockTrax | Korkers
milt spawn likes this.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:21 AM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

Jetties demand an Ugly Stick fly rod of about 10 weight and a medium Ugly Stick Saltwater Spinning rod of about 7 feet or more. I give these the nod since falling on slick rocks does happen and graphite break to easy once nicked. used to do a lot of Jetty Fly rodding as well as other tackle in my younger days.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 03-02-2012, 12:27 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Most of the spinning reels I have used in the past have been Penns. Landed everything from minnows to tarpon on them, and they're the best. Some Penn reels spooled with heavy braided line will allow you to target the smaller fish but also deal with the big ones if you have/want to. However, the set-up you have should do you just fine for a quick trip, I'd just err on the side of heavy braid, since the strength-to-diameter comparison will allow for a good range of quarry.
chuck s likes this.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 03-02-2012, 08:24 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I used to regularly carry a surf rod on trips to the shore as a back-up to the fly.
It never once made it out of the truck, even when the wind was blowing a gale.
To use it would have been admitting defeat... but that's just me.
milt spawn and wannafish like this.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:52 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Used to make a bunch of trips to Freeport/Lucaya every year. For the life of me can't figure out where these jettys are . With the exception of one dividing a private beck from a public one and all the "jettys " formed by discarded conch shells I'm at a loss . With all the other beach fishing opportunities Grand Bahamas has to offer wouldn't sweat the jetty. The slope of the beach by the hotels forms a long deep cut loaded with fish readily fly fishable. Just a thought.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-06-2012, 04:17 PM

I stay at Old Bahama Bay on the west end. We fish the breakwall at dusk around the marina and the beach.