The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2007, 04:24 PM

tbrillinger223 is on a distinguished road
Default Silver footballs on fly?

went off shore saturday. we ran into several bonito feeding on the live baits and following the chum line. my question is has anybody ever caught bonito on fly?
Old 09-07-2007, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Silver footballs on fly?

Hi tbrillinger223,

Well no one has responded so I will give you my thoughts.

I have not caught a Bonita but they are caught on a fly. Deceiver style flies would be a good choice for a fly. I think they like a fast retrieve and a two handed strip may be needed. I believe Bonita hang about with Skipjack over wrecks and rocks. In this case you will need a fast sinking line and a deep presentation. Weighted flies would be necessary for these deep fish. I would try casting out and feeding a lot of slack while the fly is sinking down. Take a few quick strips and then let the fly settle again, take a few quick strips and let settle. You get the idea. From what I have read Bonita can be hard to catch one time and easy the next time. Let me know if you catch any.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:22 PM

Thanks Frank. we had these fish literally on the surface. we were live chumming and sending whole sardines over the side and had a pair of blocks off the transom. I had the oppertunity several times to present a fly, but didnt want to tie up the fishing "lanes". We had a phenominal day none the less. caught over 35 bonito, 6 AJ's, 2 african pompano, 4 kingfish (2 of which actually ended up in the boat, 1 that broke off at the motor extension bracket and back in the water and one that got owned by a shark), 2 large muttons, a few mangroves and yellow tails. I will let you know the outcome next time we go out. it probably wont be until after the first week of october as i will be going to the carolinas next friday for 2 weeks. (hopefully they got rain)
Old 09-07-2007, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

tbrillinger223,

On the surface like that I would toss a Deceiver or Clauser in there and use a double hand strip.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:18 PM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrillinger223 View Post
went off shore saturday. we ran into several bonito feeding on the live baits and following the chum line. my question is has anybody ever caught bonito on fly?
Well TB yes i have done it once and that's the last time for me...why cause I don't like fly fishing in deep water...that's my opinion...I prefer flats...jumps...and runs...now it was on Andros where Big Bs are consummed...on the south buoy...a guide from Bonefish Club...a customer had a fish on... he was chumming with livies and we were trolling for wahoo and dolphin...he waived us through and said try it so picked up only fly rod a 10 wt RPLX put a 1/0 white clouser...now we did not have a wahoo or dolphin for our eats at that time...hooked the Big B...went deep fought about 20-30 minutes...my collegue desparately wanted it to be a blackfin...but it was not...about 20 lb bonito to which our bahamian friends took for dinner...we came back empty...no wahoo no dolphin...just my sore arm...reminded me of my first tarpon...it was in deep water...try it maybe you will like it...take some live white bait...when they are up pitch the bait to keep up then cast a clouser
Old 09-08-2007, 10:26 AM

bonefish41,

Quote:
reminded me of my first tarpon...it was in deep water...try it maybe you will like it...take some live white bait...when they are up pitch the bait to keep up then cast a clouser
I like my tarpon and other fish in 15 feet or less, it makes for a better day. unless we are off shore for bills, phins or hoo.

I have caught fish in deeper water that started on the surface and to the bottom they went and held there. (off shore wreck in 18-25' water west of whitewater bay, E.N.P).

When i had seen these fish on the surface the thought and temtation was there. im glad i didnt throw to them, we were in 150-200' of water. I would have run out of line, backing and rod...lol