The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2012, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Bamboo and the Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
How bout you, Ard? When did you first hear about "high sticking"?
I'm thinking in the early or mid 1980's, and I believe you're right about the bending of the rods thing. I had been fishing Ike Walton fiber glass & bamboo rods before I got a Fenwick brown glass rod (you remember them) and used to flex a rod over without a second thought. Honestly, I didn't really start to worry about snapping a rod until I started paying premium prices for Orvis bamboo. When I knew the rod had cost a lot of money I became paranoid.

Incidently, I had a large salmon bend my 13' Spey rod like the rod in the picture last year. I almost never fish from the boat but I dropped the anchor and did it last year. Not only did the fish come right at me but it went under the boat and then around the anchor rope and chain. After getting under the anchor it jumped like a dolphin and took off like a rocket. I lost the fish and my fly but was pretty happy that the rod didn't pop.
wjc likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-20-2012, 07:34 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
....but was pretty happy that the rod didn't pop.
I've gotten that for a prize a couple times too!!

Yes, I had one of the Fenwick brown rods, a 12 wt, and later a couple HMG graphite ones. Most of the guys I fished with had either the brown Fenwicks or bamboo.

It was hard to live in Bangor, Me. during the 60's and not be drawn to bamboo, what with Hiram Leonard, Ed Payne, Fred Thomas and Eustis Edwards all building fly rods in Bangor at one point or another (and for a very long time for Thomas) - and the birth of the split bamboo rod being Bangor and Hiram's doing in the 1800's. I used to walk past an old brick building on the way to the old high school which had a faded sign saying "FE Thomas" rodbuilders (or something to that effect) on it from his son's old shop before he moved it across Kenduskeg Stream. Lots of history in bamboo.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:46 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Does anyone know of a bamboo builder whom has a good 9/10 weight taper for the salt?
Old 03-22-2012, 11:31 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwb View Post
Does anyone know of a bamboo builder whom has a good 9/10 weight taper for the salt?
What length are you looking for?

Old 03-23-2012, 08:41 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

I would do a search for Len Codella and give him a call. He is a bamboo rod expert and dealer and will steer you in the right directio. I'd also post up on Classic Bamboo rods and see what those guys have to say.

The heavy, long rods are less marketable than those under 8 feet - in general, the smaller the more valuable depending on the maker. You might find a used lold one in mint condition for short money,.

Good Luck!
Old 03-23-2012, 08:50 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

What I am really interested in is a 9' two or three piece bamboo rod in a 9/10 weight.

Mainly for Redfish in the 15-40 pound range.

I found a builder who says he can do it, no problem, says he has been building quite a few bamboo rods for saltwater anglers as of late.

I am going to go ahead and have one built by him, will report back with how it goes!
Old 03-23-2012, 11:42 AM
Administrator

I own a 1964 Orvis Light Salmon 8 weight, it has landed many large and strong fish. These rods are Impregnated so no worries for salt use and they sell very low! by low I mean typically under 350.00 for rods in mint condition. Watch the auction site and type in search words like Orvis bamboo, Orvis Shooting Star, etc.

Good fishing rods, good prices, made by good builders, but in the end it' your money and your choice. Mine is a casting machine,

Ard

Old 03-23-2012, 04:48 PM

heck will become famous soon enough

great read and inspiration to try and build a salt bamboo rod of my own!