The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2012, 01:41 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bamboo and the Salt

An article by Ed Mitchell from the 2009 September /October issue of Fly Fishing in Salt Waters

http://www.edmitchelloutdoors.com/Ar...he%20Coast.pdf
Old 03-01-2012, 07:13 PM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Bamboo and the Salt

Very informative read. Just so happen to have a couple bamboos I am wanting to fish. One being a Orvis 8'6" Impregnated Battenkill 8wt. 1974 build.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:22 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I spotted this picture over on the Moldy Chum site.
Tarpon on a 9wt bamboo.

Click the image to open in full size.
grassonfly likes this.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:03 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Amazing! Big history in saltwater fly fishing. I love reading about the pioneers of the sport and what they caught on bamboo. Cool pic!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-17-2012, 12:13 AM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I spotted this picture over on the Moldy Chum site.
Tarpon on a 9wt bamboo.

Click the image to open in full size.
WOW! I would be so worried about my rod breaking! Pictures really are worth a thousand words!
Old 03-17-2012, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Paul,

I would not do what the guy in the picture is showing but then he might just know the limits of his rod. I have an old orvis 8 weight salmon rod that I have hauled in some large and feisty fish with. After a few fish I learned that it was made for big fish and I did not have to worry about anything except landing fish. Whenever I bump into another fly fisherman which is not really too often where I fish, they are always attracted to the cane rod. It's a good conversation starter

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-17-2012, 02:17 PM

Legend is on a distinguished road

I have, and still use, to this day my 8'6" Wes Jordan with a wedding cake FN 3 reel and GAAF line. I did use for a few years a Phillipson GBF, but went back to the Jordan as I found it easier to use over a period of many hours. It has not suffered as much as a broken tip in all these years. I use it for pavon in canals; tarpon, bonefish and snook on the flats; carp in golf course lagoons.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

One other thing; the article reads like a 'who's who' of fly fishing history. I could not help but to notice that it stated that "Tom McNally" was one of the men who got Lefty Kreh started! I have tried to point many a new member toward McNally's book 'Fly Fishing' as one of the best how to books I have ever read. Also Herb Welch of 'Nine Three' fame is mentioned along with a laundry list of others who I admired as a boy.

WOW, great post Paul!

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-17-2012, 04:03 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

Ard it was i that you were trying to get me to read mcnallys book. All of the local librarys dont have it. off to amazon.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:49 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

"High Sticking" is a term that I never heard in the days of fiberglass and bamboo. I never worried about breaking a bamboo rod or tip on either fish or while casting. I used to put some pretty severe bends in them that I would not do with the high modulous graphite of today.

How bout you, Ard? When did you first hear about "high sticking"?