The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2012, 09:04 AM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default barracuda flies

i will be barracuda fishing next weekend and i have tied a needle fish looking thing and i very bright and shiny bucktail high tie what else should i bring
Old 03-04-2012, 12:14 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: barracuda flies

Big, articulated, multi-hook flies are usually the norm for barracuda, to give you a long body and to match the way needlefish move through the water. What's the needlefish fly you tied look like?

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 03-04-2012, 06:06 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Piece of rope on a hook works good!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-04-2012, 06:08 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice
Cool Re: barracuda flies

Tie a Clouser with yak hair with a couple strands of Krystal Flash thrown in. Light Green to shades of blue top, with a white or yellow bottom. I sometimes add a dab of goop about a hook length behind the hook bend to keep it all slim and trim. Never saw the need for multiple hooks as it can get tangled as it is and a Cuda doesn't just nip at the tail of it but rather inhales it!
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 03-04-2012, 07:46 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

i used a yellow and green bucktail hightigh today and they were semi interested but didnt commit. what needlefish patterns should i use
Old 03-04-2012, 11:10 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice

I would think anything long, thin and with lots of metallic flash would work. I've only caught them trolling a ballyhoo rig with a blue and white skirt over the nose down in the Bahamas. We caught one everytime we went over a reef. That was back in the early 90's, but my recollection is that they like a lot of flash as they don't see that well. The little ones are supposed to be good eating, but I don't remember even the big ones putting up much of a fight. They're great for pictures though! Big teeth.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:40 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

A long mylar body with silver transitioning into a dark green at the top should work well, or so I would think!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 03-05-2012, 08:57 PM

lightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the rough

With whatever fly you choose, try this: After you cast, tuck the rod up under your armpit, and strip the fly back with two hands, hand over hand, as fast as you can. Cudas are built for, and are used to, speed! Needlefish are fast! Match the speed of a needlefish.

Long, skinny, green flies with some flash.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:49 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

I would try big, white with a little flash and moving fast.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:35 AM

Nice tip on the hand-over-hand retrieve, lightline! I'm sure that makes for some fun takes as well I know I use that trick to get a more constant retrieve even when bassing, but I'm sure it will see use not only in the salt this summer but for pike and musky as well.