The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wjc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 11:23 AM

sxm has a spectacular aura aboutsxm has a spectacular aura about
Default Barracuda! Do you use a wire?

If you are fishing in an area where Barracuda may be present, do you use a wire as part of your leader? Such as the Orvis Haywire or the Umpqua Tyger wire leader?

Saltwater Fly Fishing Leaders / Retwistable Haywire Bite Guards -- Orvis

Umpqua Tyger Tipped Wire Leader - Leaders
Old 03-06-2012, 11:53 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Barracuda! Do you use a wire?

I think most would only use it if fishing specifically for barracuda, otherwise the wire may be an issue if targeting other, less aggressive species. I use wire when targeting Bluefish, but not Striper's, yet sometimes there will be Blues in the same area. Stripers will sometimes shy away from wire. If the Blues are small, not a problem, just need to change tippets more often, as they chew them up. If they're larger, they'll bite thru the tippet, so I lose flies. I would expect the same with cuda's.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 03-06-2012, 12:32 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice
Cool Re: Barracuda! Do you use a wire?

SXM I carry four or five Cuda flys prerigged with about 6-8" of wire. In the end of that wire I twist a small loop just big enough to slip over the barb of the bonefish/permit flies I am using. When a Cuda is spotted strip the fly in, slip on the Cuda fly with bite tippet and cast to it, using that two handed strip mentioned in the other thread. some even carry a small 1/4" bit of rubber band to slip on the hook after the wire loop to keep the Cuda Fly snugged on. Be sure and make your cast so that the fly is stripped quickly "away," from the Cuda as a scared needlefish would do.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 03-06-2012, 03:39 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

dont buy expensive wire go to home depot buy some thin wire not too thin and there you go
Old 03-06-2012, 08:05 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

A 42 foot coil of good single strand stainless Malin isn't but 2 bucks at any tackle shop in the keys.
chuck s likes this.