The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 05:27 PM

lightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the rough
Default New Hydros Lines--Baby Tarpon

I just returned from 9 days of baby tarpon fishing on the flats and in the mangroves of Campeche, MX. I took the brand new WF-7 and WF-8 Orvis Hydros "Bonefish" lines with me, and was very impressed. The new lines shoot through the guides with the greatest of ease. The lines are slightly dimpled like a golf ball, but you can't see or hear it. They make no noise at all, float like a cork, and have just the right stiffness for tropical fishing. I'm replacing every saltwater line I have with these new lines.

The fishing was great, and the new lines added about 20 feet to my casts. Shots that normally go 30 feet went 50. The taper allowed for good presentations in the clear, shallow water with 6-9 foot straight leaders. We landed fish every day, and had lots of shots at singles and small groups every day. It was my third trip there in a year, and I'm already looking at the calendar for possible return dates.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:56 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Hydros Lines--Baby Tarpon

Lightline: Congrats on your baby tarpon success. Thanks for the feedback on the new Orvis Hydros lines, I've been eyeing then myself.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:40 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

Interesting due they make a cold water version???
Old 03-06-2012, 09:13 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

the best shooting line hands down in my opinion is cortland crystal
Old 03-06-2012, 09:56 PM

lightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw View Post
Interesting due they make a cold water version???
There's about 20 new Hydros lines on their website. Some just have a "new and improved" Wonderline coating, not the indentations. You'd have to click on the category of line you were interested in and read the properties. What made the lines I took with me so great was the "golf ball" coating. The new line ID system, welded loops, and other freatures of the new line are more "fluff" to me. Those bonefish lines shot like a rocket though, with no coil tangles. They call that new coating "3D". Looks like they have it in a "trout" taper WF-4, 5, and 6.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:23 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

I just checked them out and they have a 350 and a 450 gr depth charge lines with the 3d. I just might have to give them a shot. I boat fish mostly so i dont really need an extra 20'long cast but a 65 or 70' cast with half the effort would be awesome. I have been know to stay out and fish for 10 or 12 hrs at a time. Thanks for the info. I have been using mostly Rio outbound lines and have been very pleased with them.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:17 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
the best shooting line hands down in my opinion is cortland crystal
I haven't tried a hydro, but I'm buying a Crystal PE for my new rod. I tried one of them out, and it seems that their previous tangling problem with the initial offer has been fixed. I had no kinking whatsoever. It does indeed shoot very well.

It also has a longer head (which I like) than the hydros and a more gentle, more uniform taper, which I also like.

Sandy Moret in Islamorada is now stocking them and they have become pretty popular down here. If you get a chance to try one, I would do so. Line likes/dislikes vary probably more than rod likes/dislikes. I can't stand the short head lines in any brand myself, and I would prefer the longer ones even longer.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 03-07-2012, 04:05 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

short head lines are aweome for some fishing. I have a buddy with a bass line and he 20 feet of line out and shoots strait to 60 or further.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:13 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Yeah they certainly have a place, especially for surf fishing. But I don't do much of that and feel like I have more control with a longer head, am more accurate on long casts and can land them softer.

But that's just personal preference, and most of my casting/fishing is from a boat.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:05 AM

bkatz1 is on a distinguished road

I have the Hydros 10wt Saltwater "All Arounder" love its for mixed bag fishing. (Snook/Reds/Tarpon) very smooth line. I also have the 6wt Hydros Bass line which turns big flies over like a dream. One a spare spool I have the Hydros WF regular 6wt line also (No Complaints). I just purchased the Hyrdos 4wt Trout line, tried it first time last night, shoots super smooth, extremely buoyant and really easy to cast longer distances. I switched all these lines over from Orvis Wonderlines. No complaints on any of them, give them a shot! Tight Lines